News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Private message window within the forum!

Started by shumilica, April 27, 2007, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shumilica

Can someone tweak the present system of attentioning users that they have a PM? I mean now it has a pop-up window that, if I click yes, it will appear that my Opera (the browser) pop-up blocker has blocked it.

For this not to happen and to be as noticeable as it can (a new private message) can someone integrate this kind of script:
http://prototype-window.xilinus.com/index.html (or this: http://orangoo.com/labs/GreyBox/ )
so that the new private message system use it? Would it be so hard to make such a mod? ???
I am so sorry I am not a coder because I would do a mod like this one for everyone  :'(

Thanks, users of mighty SMF  8)
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

shadow82x

I would have to agree this would be a good mod
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

shumilica

so this kind of mod is out of the question for any potential modders? :(

shadow82x

I guess no mod writers want to do it sorry shumilica. There are other great mods out there though :)
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Thread_Whisperer

I was thinking about something like this that would turn the "messages" button in the main menu bright green or something when  new pm came in... I am definitely not a professional coder but I will poke around with it when I have some time and if I come up with something functional I will be happy to share it with you. I don't think it will be very difficult to do and if any "good coders" see this maybe they will be able to get it done in less then the month it will likely take me.. but I will poke with it and see... would the "glowing button" be enough for you as well?

Anyway all the best,

TW

babjusi

Quote from: Thread_Whisperer on May 28, 2007, 12:35:52 AM
I was thinking about something like this that would turn the "messages" button in the main menu bright green or something when  new pm came in... I am definitely not a professional coder but I will poke around with it when I have some time and if I come up with something functional I will be happy to share it with you. I don't think it will be very difficult to do and if any "good coders" see this maybe they will be able to get it done in less then the month it will likely take me.. but I will poke with it and see... would the "glowing button" be enough for you as well?

Anyway all the best,

TW

It is a mod that does that, when you receive a new message the '''New Message'' icon flashes. You can see the mod here

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=260

Thread_Whisperer

Very cool, thank you for that point out. I will definitely give this a peek! :)

shumilica

It is obvious that this mod dosen't feats my needs. I want just what I asked in the first topic so that my users to reach the information pointed in a PM very quickly and very effective.
I'll keep waiting, maybe untill I'll learn php :o

Thread_Whisperer

Indeed the one mentioned is not what you were looking for but it does offer the needed info for finding a new pm and for starting an action when a new pm is found... so tie that into the scripts you pointed out and you can better find a way to present the user directly with the new pm in a non-popup way such as a flash window etc... So the pointed out existing modification is indeed a very helpful thing at least as far as I am concerned with trying to pull off the idea you originally presented... Just letting you know why I was excited and grateful for the info provided. :)

shumilica

I understand the connection between this two but i still don't know php :) to make the changes.

Thread_Whisperer

:) neither do I much but with the info I have now I might be able to use existing files to cut and paste together enough stuff to make it work like what your hoping for :) might take me a couple weeks longer then it would a good coder who could do it in about an hour I am sure, but hey we're beggers so we can't be too choosy.. LOL hopefully I can come up with a working example for us though!

shumilica

You are one little mighty user :D
If I can help in this abstract job to intuate what needs to be change just PM me :)

Thread_Whisperer

no... no Im not a mighty little user... I am now an eyeball fried brain scrambled one LOL been looking at the codes and such from greybox and trying to find a way to integrate those into the calling routine script used by smf for the new message popup... figured best to replace the actual popup option so they could in fact still adjust their setting in their profile to not show even this new window idea you have... anyway... been looking at it for a couple hours and to be blunt I think it is beyond my ability right now... not saying for a fact it is... but sheesh do I feel like an idiot right now.. still going to look at it as time allows over the next week or two and hope to come up with something.. greybox looked like the easier of the two in my examination of them so will keep trying with it.

I have managed to have my forum tell me all kinds of neat errors while displaying what looked like internet roadkill though... LOL Still trying but sure would love a real coder taking a look and popping out a script adjustment for us in the next couple days.. boy would I ever appreciate that.. LOL

All the best,

TW

Advertisement: