News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Sendmail Error

Started by tenera, September 19, 2004, 08:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenera

Sendmail is not working for me (for any emails sent by the forum). After some searching, I found a few threads that gave me some leads, but none of them worked out. Here is the error that was logged under the IP Error Logging:

QuoteRan into problems sending Mail. Error: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

php.ini is pointing to the correct location for sendmail. Any ideas what I would need to do to fix this? Thanks in advance :)

[Unknown]

Does sending mail work just through PHP?  You can test it with a simple script like this:

<?php

mail('[email protected]', 'How goes it?', 'Just wanted to know how you\'ve been.  I\'m just worried because I heard I was talking to myself by email - what do you think, self?  Am I crazy?');

?>

SMF doesn't support TLS with its SMTP support, but PHP might.  I'm not sure.  Do you have the possibility of using any less restricted SMTP server?

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

tenera

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 19, 2004, 08:46:50 PM
Does sending mail work just through PHP? You can test it with a simple script like this: [. . .]
SMF doesn't support TLS with its SMTP support, but PHP might. I'm not sure. Do you have the possibility of using any less restricted SMTP server?

I tried the script, and the email never arrived. As for the TLS error, I guess that's from when I tried using SMTP instead of sendmail. I realized SMTP would not be an option, as the SMTP server requires SSL and SPA, so I set it back to sendmail after then. My sendmail settings in php.ini are the default ones (sendmail -t -i), so it should work. I guess it's a matter of sendmail not being set up correctly on the server? Also, I know the email address sendmail would tell it is being sent from is not a valid email address (does that matter?).

[Unknown]

It may.  Many smtp servers will do a reverse dns check on reciept and bounce the email.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: