News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Missing posts and lots of errors

Started by monkums, June 17, 2013, 07:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkums

We've just decided to move our community forum from phpBB3 to SMF and the conversion process is not going well.

Current forum is phpBB3 3.0.9 and SMF forum is 2.0.4.  I'm using the SMF2 converter from the download page.

The first part goes OK until it starts to convert the posts:

Converting ranks... Successful.
Converting groups... Successful.
Converting members... Successful.
Converting additional member groups... Successful.
Preparing for categories conversion... Successful.
Converting categories... Successful.
Converting boards... Successful.
Fixing categories... Successful.
Converting topics... Successful.
Converting posts... Incomplete.

It then stalls with the 'Continue' button at the bottom of the page and finally overloads the server and knocks the site offline for a short while.

When the site comes back there are a lot of posts missing.  If I run a repair and fix it shows 1200+ errors.  Choosing fix the errors reduces the posts even further.

Can anyone help?

kat

I don't have a lot of experience of the converters, I'm afraid.

But, at first glance, it seems, to me, that you might be suffering from a timeout.

Can you get your host to edit php.ini, to increase max_execution_time = 60 to whatever they'll allow you to set it as, even if only temporarily?

It may even help to have set_time_limit() increased, too, as that's set, by default, to only thirty seconds.

I may have just typed a load of total crap. But, that's what's come into my feeble ol' mind, for this. :)

monkums

Thanks for the quick reply and I'll give it a go.

I've done a bit more investigating and it appears that SMF is report that it has all the posts but not quite all the topics (it's missing 4) and not all the users (it's missing 75).

However two of the boards are missing both posts and topics so not sure what's going on.

kat

Yep. That makes me think that what I said may well be the problem, then. :)

Sure worth a try, at least.

monkums

So my host won't change php.ini.  :(

So I've dumped both forums onto a local machine running Xampp.

I changed the max_execution_time to 120 but couldn't find set_time_limit() in php.ini.

I've run the converter a couple of times but I think I'm still missing posts.

I've run fix and repair and had 2800+ errors a lot of which were:

The subject of topic #2612 is currently not stored in the subject cache.

Once I selected fix the forum is reporting the correct number of posts and topics in the stats at the bottom of the home page but not the correct number of users and the boards are not showing the correct number of posts and topics.

kat

Crap host, then, if they won't even change it, temporarily, methinks.

Anyway, if it doesn't exist, you can always create it.

More, here:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

monkums

I'm still in discussion with them but i the meantime.

If I can sort out my Xampp with the correct max_execution_time and set_time_limit() values then I can at least prove that the forum is convertable.

monkums

So it's a no go with my host.  >:(

I've been digging deeper and it appears that all the posts and topics have been imported but the main board count and the child board counts are different.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqzx28q2ydzcglu/Main%20Board%20Stats.PNG [nofollow]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg391avnqgqe7xi/Child%20Board%20Stats.PNG [nofollow]

Any way to fix this or shall I post in a different forum area?

kat

Try Forum Maintenance>Recount stuff. (Techie term, that) ;)

Advertisement: