Real Quickie / font color

Started by VertigoRay, October 18, 2004, 12:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VertigoRay

I've done a few little searches and turned up nothing of interest.  I figured I'd post and check back later to count the hits.

I've got a question about changing the font color in the #headerarea and #footerarea of the index.  (The reason I'm using the # name is so u know where I'm refering to, if you're editing the style.css)

The question is how?  I've used:

color
text-color
textcolor
font-color
fontcolor

My guess is that it hasn't been set.  Mainly I'd like to know because I'm trying to set my #background-color to black and it's kind of hard to read black text on a black background.  I'm sure I just have to edit this in the code (when I find it), but I would like to know if there is an entry in the CSS for it?  If not, why not?  Thanks in advance.

[Unknown]

I suggest you put:

color: white;

In your "body" element's definition.

-[Unknown]

VertigoRay

I'm sure this is in development for the final release, but how about the CSS, control every aspect of color for that area.  Why does 1 "body" tag control the default font color settings for 75% of the page.  Why bother incorporate the ability to have the Header and Footer have different background colors from the rest of the page if the font color in those areas are controled by a single setting.

Sure I can fix this, by writting my own entries into the CSS and digging  through the code, but for a truely customizeable forum, that should be done for you.  I'm not knocking all the hard work that you've already put into it, just giving you some blaintant ideas for improvement. 

And dont stop at font-colors per section, how about alink, vlink, link ...

Thanks for your Help, though!

Grudge

I would argue that if you giving *every* font section a CSS entity it destroys the point of having a seperate CSS file, as you may as well just use style="color: #COLOR" in every single span tag. There are *so* many sections in SMF (Not just index.template remember) it would be unworkable. I think it's better to have one or two options in the CSS file, and then anyone who wants to tweak further can just edit it in the template.
I'm only a half geek really...

VertigoRay

I don't expect every little option to have a seperate entity in the css, but if you're going to make a background seperately colorable, should the foreground (text) be just as seperately colorable?

I do see your point though about the CSS, but a section has already been layed aside for a Header bgcolor, footer bgcolor, etc ...

Thanks for the quick reply.

VertigoRay

I'm slowly tweeking the colors on my theme, btw, feel free to take a look:

hxxp:www.shadowsofimmortality.org/ [nonactive]

(Yes, I know the flash load-time isn't great atm, I'm gonna work on that a little later.)

Grudge

Well, if they already have sections can't you just add color to them?

VertigoRay

Like I said, I could add fontcolor to the section, and I could dig through the code, and add the style entry to the necesary areas, but what happens when it's time to upgrade to SMF 1.0?  I know I can take good enough notes to duplicate what I did earlier, but what about others.  Not to mention, with an upgrade comes changes in the code, thus my notes may not be accurate.  It's something that could easily be tied to the release, and IMHO, it should.

[Unknown]

You could always add font colors to the other classes... headerbodies, etc.

-[Unknown]

Grudge

Quote from: [Unknown] on October 18, 2004, 07:11:25 PM
You could always add font colors to the other classes... headerbodies, etc.

-[Unknown]
That's what I meant.

VertigoRay

I realize that, but as I said:

When the time comes to upgrade to SMF 1.0, I'll have to do it all again.

Oh well, this is obviously not going any where.  And I'm going to add the font-colors anyway.  Thanks for your time.  :D

[Unknown]

Quote from: VertigoRay on October 18, 2004, 07:26:43 PM
I realize that, but as I said:

When the time comes to upgrade to SMF 1.0, I'll have to do it all again.

Oh well, this is obviously not going any where.  And I'm going to add the font-colors anyway.  Thanks for your time.  :D

No, no, you won't.

See, if you create a copy of the default theme, you'll get your own special style.css.  You can change this to your heart's content... and when you upgrade, you can keep using it.

-[Unknown]

VertigoRay

Right,  but I'll have to point all of the php pages to the css for it's formatting.  When I upgrade, if that page is affected by the upgrade, I'll have to change that, right?  Or are all of the theme pages completely seperate from any of the functionality of the page? 

Assuming that the theme is seperate from the functionality:
I'd assume that if some modifications happened to layout and the method used to call data to be displayed was changed I'd have to replace those pages and just tweek it a little.  Obviously that's better then starting over.  Am I correct with this assumption?

[Unknown]

The template files are... mostly separate.  Your templates will continue to work, but if a button was added on that page, you will have to make the same change.

If you change the css file, it won't require you to modify the template, or even include it in your new theme.  All the templates already look to the stylesheet for their colors.

There are many file comparison utlities that would help you get your templates up to speed jiffy-quick.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: