News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

starting things off..

Started by cumbricnet, September 16, 2007, 10:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cumbricnet

hi, i've just set up a forum, and i'm going to email people who i think may be interested in using the forum. i will tell them that the forum is new, so there won't be a surprise that there are no, or very few, posts.

i'm thinking though, that when people go to the forum and see no posts they might be less inclined to post themselves. i don't want to post rubbish just for the sake of it - are people likely to be put off from posting although they know the forum is new? or not?

Niteblade

Quote from: cumbricnet on September 16, 2007, 10:50:53 AM
hi, i've just set up a forum, and i'm going to email people who i think may be interested in using the forum. i will tell them that the forum is new, so there won't be a surprise that there are no, or very few, posts.

i'm thinking though, that when people go to the forum and see no posts they might be less inclined to post themselves. i don't want to post rubbish just for the sake of it - are people likely to be put off from posting although they know the forum is new? or not?

People never post in forums out of the goodness of their hearts, at least it hasn't been my experience. What you need to do is create some posts that would get people interested in joining your forum in order to ask questions. For example, if you have special knowledge about how televisions work, then create a post detailing the steps you took to modify/repair your television. If someone needs more clarification, they'll join to ask you some questions.

The same idea applies if you have special knowledge about .htaccess, the XBOX, how to rank well in Google, web design, public relations, dating advice, drug rehabilitation, automotive repair,.. whatever your niche it.

In other words, you need to write posts in such a way that people have to join your forum in order to learn more information, or have you assess their special situation.

People won't join for any other reason.
affiliate blog

christicehurst

I have been lucky with my new forum because I have alot of good content to post. Also as a writer I have a few loyal fans to join up and help out.

What's your forum aboutu? What content do you have to post on your forum?
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

Neorics

Quote from: cumbricnet on September 16, 2007, 10:50:53 AM

Offer Positions for the taking, i'm sure you need a staff to handle the forum then ask your staff to be responsible for their certain sections they are interested in and make sure that they post there or invite peeps to visit that section
[For Hire] I can help you with anything regarding Simple Machines Forum  ~ My Portfolio

Advertisement: