Not getting permissions to work

Started by Dainis, November 18, 2004, 04:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dainis

Hi,

I'm trying to enable the following permissions for the boards at my forum:

A) BoardName: Showcase
Permissions
Only Admin can start new threads, anyone can reply to existing threads (including guests, but add guest_ prefix) New topic and new poll buttons not visible.

B) BoardName: English Language Level Evaluations
Permissions:
User pays. Admin gives that user permission to start threads in this forum. Otherwise, anyone, including guests, can reply to existing threads. New topic and new poll buttons not visible to folks who can't make new topics or polls. I'll probably want to make custom New topic and new poll buttons specifically for this board (as they will be named something else here). Best, if by paying, user could automatically post here.

C) BoardName: General Discussion
Permission -- anyone can start threads and post, etc. Normal buttons.

D) Hier Ihr Gratis-Sprachqualitäts-Check Anfordern!
Permissions--Private between Admin and thread starter.

E) Hier können Sie einen Kostenvorschlag beantragen
Permissions--Private between Admin and thread starter. (same as D)

Regarding A, for example, I tried clearing "post new topics," and I also tried denying "post new topics," however, I can't seem to get it to work. Also, I'm having a hard time understanding the edit permissions interface, and I can't see what's what, what permissions are where, etc. I can't see what I've done, whether I've changed anything...

Permissions seem to be a great feature of SMF, but as yet, I can't get them to work. Any tips?

Cheers!
Dainis

codenaught

Permissions work per group basis.

First what you may want to do, if you haven't done so is set the global permissions for each membergroup. Admin-> Member Controls-> Edit Permissions

This will be in general what most forums you want the permissions for the board to be.
So these permissions will make the user have that permission for every board, but what do you do if there is a board you want to have a different permissions for that board? Well, on Admin-> Member Controls-> Edit Permissions towards the bottom you will see another table that says 'Permissions by Board' Hit next to a forum the link that says 'Local' to give that board custom permissions from the global ones. Here if you have it so you only want Admins to start new topics then you can select the X for the other groups permission to start a new topic to disallow it.

Let's refer back to your example B. Users must pay to post. I would then suggest creating a usergroup, I will call the group 'Paid Users' here. When a user pays you can change the member to that group and give that group more access rights.

I suggest you now explore a bit what I said and if you have questions feel free to ask.
Also take not, selecting 'D' as in Deny will make it so no matter what usergroup the user is in they will not be able to perform that action.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Dainis

OK, I've got some questions out at http://www.dainis.net/smf_help.html.

Once I know how to set permissions, I'll make a tutorial for doing so...

--Dainis

Dainis

Here's a summary of what I have out there.

OK, it looks to me like one can check "modify" in the "name" row, which auto-selects all Member Groups. If I've chosen to "check" member groups, then, I use the "with selection..." pull down options to modify permissions for all of the checked member groups. A question that comes up is: "what are global permissions, and where does one set them?" I can apply a variety of permissions settings to multiple member groups, right? Where can I "set" global permissions? What does that do? It makes sense that global permissions would be the permissions that everyone has (with exceptions), however, then it would also make sense that one can specifically create global permissions. Where does one do that?

OK, onward and upward...

If I want to modify permissions for a specific member group only, then, I can do so by "clicking on" the word "modify," and then I get to a window/screen/page (not sure what the SMF convention is here) that looks like (see the link in my previous post).

Things to define:
Modify Group - GroupName (ex. Unregistered Guests)
When modifying a group, one can modify General Permissions and Global Board Permissions for that particular Group (ex. Unregistered Guests)

What is the difference between General Permissions and Global Board Permissions?

What are ungrouped members? Why do I need them? What overrides what? What I mean is, if I'm a newbie and an ungrouped member, which permissions take effect? Right now, I don't see how the automatic group "ungrouped members" helps me.

I'm trying to set permissions so that only Admin can start new threads, anyone can reply to existing threads (including guests, but add guest_ prefix), for a particular board. However, "ungrouped members" is throwing me off, as all members I don't specifically group are "ungrouped members," but those members are also members of count-based groups.

Looking for clarification.

Cheers!
Dainis

Dainis

I think I "kind of" have the hang of this, however, detailed discussion of SMF procedures to accomplish particular permissions settings would be great here. I found myself clicking on "modify" for any ole group, just to see what permissions were available, then checking all of the groups, then clearing the permissions using the pull-down select boxes.

--Dainis

[Unknown]

Sorry, there's a lot to read here.

What permissions are you having trouble, still, implementing?  The main things to remember are one, that "local permissions" and "global permissions" apply separately, and do not "pool" or "inherit" each other... and that, two, members are usually in more than just one group (remember post groups...)

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: