Package SDK, anyone?

Started by [Unknown], November 22, 2004, 03:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

More information can be found in the Package SDK: modification.xml and Package SDK: package-info.xml topics.

I understand that a lot of people would like to learn to write packages.  We're still working on documentation, but here's a bit that should at least help you get an idea for it.  Comments are very welcome - and if anyone wants to contribute more to it, please just click reply ;) .

The only notes I should make is that, one, this is for package *authors*, and two the included "test_modification.php" must be uploaded or run on your local webserver.

Thanks,
-[Unknown]

Jerry

I think these are great tutorials :), I will have to take a better look at them tommorow afternoon geting late here :P

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

Kirby

OvermindDL1

Yes, useful, but missing one things, it does not describe how to add files like pictures and such by using the xml file, I know how to do it by mod file, but what about xml?

Jerry

I think you do it the same way as a mod file .tar.gz it with instructions for the package manager lol ;)

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

OvermindDL1

Not that, as stated above, what if I included some graphic files, how do I get the forum to store them from the archive to where I want it to place them?

[Unknown]

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on December 07, 2004, 09:59:13 PM
Not that, as stated above, what if I included some graphic files, how do I get the forum to store them from the archive to where I want it to place them?

This is covered.... look in the avatars section, and just use the same method, except put them elsewhere.

-[Unknown]

OvermindDL1

Not section dependent, perhaps I should have spent more then a few minutes looking at it (get past the mod section)....

ms_ukyankee

Does anyone have a windows method (that works) of creating gzip archives? I tried a few (Ultimate zip for one) that were mentioned in other threads but I couldn't get them to work, and uploading files to  server to gzip and download to test, editing making changes and redoing this is tedious and time consuming.
SMF since 2004 <3

[Unknown]

You can use zip files with the package manager as of RC1 or RC2... gzips can be created by several programs, such as TUGZip. (www.tugzip.com)

-[Unknown]

Jerry

http://www.akjerry.com/ezgz.zip
Thats what I use, I cant find the name, and don't use it often enough to find the name. ..  but it works fairly well :)

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

Kirby

I use PowerArchiver 2004... works like a charm :)
EDIT: just tried TUGzip and I must say it is better than any archiver ive seen :P

ms_ukyankee

SMF since 2004 <3

OvermindDL1

www.7zip.com works perfectly for me, supports tar, gzip, zip, 7z, rar, ace, cab, etc... etc...

Meriadoc

position="before|after|replace|end"

now, if I say before, will that <add> the code I want before what I searched for (logically in coding thought) or will what I searched for be before what I <add> (linguistically logical ;))?
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

[Unknown]

You could have this:

search position="before"
add
search position="after"

So, linguistically.  You're just used to boardmod :P.

-[Unknown]

Meriadoc

don't think i ever used boardmod... but thanks
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

CapriSkye

im having trouble to get a simple mod package to work. i used the test modification file, and it says
The file you uploaded was parsed and the following results were returned.
then no error message. and when i tried to install it on local server, it says Modification parse error.
i looked at the syntax twice and just can't find any error  :D
the package i was testing on can be found here: http://open.38.com/personal/colorize.zip
any idea? thanks

[Unknown]

404?  The test_modification.php file is meant to deal directly with .mod or .xml modification files, not with whole packages.

-[Unknown]

CapriSkye

that'd be the reason, thanks unknown.

just a note, even slightest extra space would make the test fail, why? i thought space doesn't matter....

Advertisement: