News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Where? Simple, fully-integrated Portal

Started by OvermindDL1, December 03, 2004, 02:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

All of the CMS's I see around, all of the portals, everything have little irks which just do not fit into a scheme I am attempting to establish.  First of all, will there be anything (CMS/Portal)  that is fully integrated to SMFm, as in they use same DB, same tables, etc..., not just RSS and bridge's and such.  I hate to use Invision's Portal Lite as an example, because, although I do not have a need of many features, it is just missing far too many, but it would suffice if even that was available for SMF.  Will there ever be anything to fully integrate into the AdminCP of SMF so I do not have to go bouncing around between AdminCP's.  Will there be things that share the same permissions setup as SMF to the point that the permissions are in the same place and format in the SMF AdminCP?  I am just curious if there is anything I can use as a frontpage that actually, fully works, and gives basic information in the style of IPB's Portal Lite, news section linking to a forum area, same templates, and all.  Simple yes or no...

Jerry

There is a portal called Enigma (I think) that is a fully integrated YabbSE portal, but thier 2.0 version is supposed to be able to integrate with SMF. I don't know anything about this portal other then it is fully integrated. So I guess the answer is yes, one day there will be ;)

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

OvermindDL1

Ah, but the question I should ask is, how soon?  My front-page is rather bare and static and I have not the time to create something worthwhile anytime soon...

I was also under the assumption that Enigma used skins independent of the forum, would not work well if the user's would have to pick between two sets of skins, one for forum, and one for portal, where-as it should be the same for both...

[Unknown]

Actually, Compuart was working on a CMS that fits many of these requests, but I don't know that he's had time to work on it lately...

-[Unknown]

OvermindDL1

Any location to a website or forum thread of this development?

EDIT:  Since I have been as of yet to find anything operational I have made my own, and it is fully templated with language files, about the only thing it is missing is the admin interface.  I am going to be adding things to it as I need them.  If anyone wants it then I will add a nice admin interface for it and package it up.  The 'demo' (operational demo?) is available on my site at http://www.overminddl1.com

bloc

I could mention I am working on a small integrated portal too...but it is only with the blocks functioning as of yet. It uses permission system of SMF, same database, css / gfx from the theme and all other resources that SMF already offers. Its planned to be installed as a mod+extra scripts. You see, I really want just one system.. ;) And - as I like Geeklog a lot - it lends several ideas from it. That means frontpage featured articles, articles/categories , download section etc. along with what SSI.php already offers in terms of showing latest threads etc..

I am planning to put it up to show (what I have and hopefully more) on my website this month. Just have a few other things to take care of first.  8)

So this is also just on the "planning stage" I am afraid, but since I am doing this primarily for myself, I also take the time to make it right. I am learning all the time, only just started doing themes for SMF, and therefore start from that point really.

OvermindDL1

Heh, I do apologize, but I edited my post at the same point that you posted yours.  Either the warning for someone posting something while you are posting is not in effect here or it does not effect edits (bug?).  Read my post up above, when I get determined to have something, I get it.  As you see on my site, it is a block system as well; perhaps we can combine our ideas and talents to get an SMF unOfficial Lite Portal or something?

EDIT:  As of right now I am still working on it, I like the collapsability of things, so I will be making the two side panels able to be collapsed, already have the code, now putting it into the template, if I do not pass out it should be up in an hour or so...

bloc

:) That can happen.. it looks like we think alike here! But how did you integrate/create the blocks?

In my script I have adjusted the index.php file to make all pure"index.php" go to the frontpage - and index.php?action=forum" go to the boardindex. Had to adjust a little on the linktree too. Then I just call my function in index that gets all the blocks and lay it out. the admin section makes you place it up/down/left/right etc.

So basically I put all the data into the $context variable for the template - and try to minimize as much extra sql calls as possible - to not render it noticeably slower.

I also put special blocks in , like login, search etc. and removed those from the original places. Articles/downloads/special modules I plan on in the same manner.

yes, I already have implemented upshrink on both sides... ;)

What do you plan further then?

EDIT:
some shots of what I mean...
http://www.bloczone.net/files/portal/portal1.jpg
http://www.bloczone.net/files/portal/portal2.jpg
http://www.bloczone.net/files/portal/portal3.jpg

I see you have the portal outside the forum - as I mentioned i have them together..is it something you are aiming at?

OvermindDL1

Mine edits the original index.php for the forum in one way only, it adds an action 'portal' in the action list, beyond that (and AdminCP additions, we need an easier way to add our own pages to that thing) it makes no other changes to the forum.  The portal that you see on my site is nothing but a couple lines of code in the index.php (that is at my web root, not the forum).  It acts as a wrapper for the portal, setting it up, and calling the forum's index.php.  This way you can have the portal named whatever you want, whatever file you want, or even have it as an action in the forum if you wanted.  I like flexability; if there is an option that is simple to do, then I impliment it.

Each block is a pile of html that fits within a table section, they end up drawing more tables and such to make the color effects.  I have login and such still controlled by the normal templates to minimize impact and changes needed for a specific skin for the portal.  I want it to work and look as well as possible across all themes, especially since none of them will have a template for the portal; as long as they follow the standards (in css) set by the default, the portal should look fine.

Each block is a function, you just call that function where you want it in the template to place it there.  There are four main sections for blocks to fit in the skin, but that is fully controlled by the template so it can be changed.  All I would really need is a place in the AdminCP to alter the template and they should be able to do what they wish.  As stated though, I am making this for myself; I want the basics, enough to show it as a front-page and little else.  If I need more I'll add them as blocks later.

But yes, as stated above, the portal is not outside the forum, that file you see is only a four-lines-of-code wrapper. ;)

bloc

Ok, looks like we go about this in slightly different manner. ;) Currently my approach requires some modifiactions to both source files and theme files. And themes WILL have to be changed slightly... But I am pondering on how to make it easier.

Anyway, I will continue on my part, and hopefully you will too? then we can see later on what becomes of this. I am doing it for myself foremost, but have a goal of making a mod of it when its ready enough. And who knows? maybe SMF will have its own portal/cms(by the developers) too.... ;)

OvermindDL1

Yes, I am curious as to how each of ours will develop, and if the developer's started one of their own, couldn't ask for more, I'd switch to it. 

As I stated earlier, I am mostly doing this just so I do not have my homepage instant-redirect to the forum, I like some kind of intro for my site, and this suffices.  Now lacking a night of sleep, so I better get ready for the day....

Oldiesmann

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on December 03, 2004, 04:27:57 AM
Any location to a website or forum thread of this development?

EDIT: Since I have been as of yet to find anything operational I have made my own, and it is fully templated with language files, about the only thing it is missing is the admin interface. I am going to be adding things to it as I need them. If anyone wants it then I will add a nice admin interface for it and package it up. The 'demo' (operational demo?) is available on my site at http://www.overminddl1.com

Looks good. However, you should make it so that the little side block thingies stay hidden when you re-load the page.

Now if you can only convince the sites on your links list to switch to SMF... :)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Oldiesmann on December 03, 2004, 06:38:54 PM
Looks good. However, you should make it so that the little side block thingies stay hidden when you re-load the page.
Yep, already been setting up, could finish doing that in a couple of minutes, so probobly by this evening when I eat.

Quote from: Oldiesmann on December 03, 2004, 06:38:54 PM
Now if you can only convince the sites on your links list to switch to SMF... :)
I've been trying... boy have I been trying...

bloc

You know...I tried adding several upshrinks(using the already existing routines) and while they remember when you are logged in, they won't as a guest. I think its because as a guest the info is stored in the cookie and there is only one "upshrink value" - the main one.

OvermindDL1

That is why I am having them point to another function in my portal, mostly a duplication of the currently existing code with some minor changes.  Have not had much time to work on it, next time I may have enough time to will be next friday...

ping

I could definitely use something like this. I've tried it with Postnuke, but there's currently no way to bring in older memebrs. I've tried Mambo, but I've got some sort of strange cookie problem that can't seem to be resolved. I'd really rather have something simpler. So I think I'll keep my eye on this topic to see where you two take this idea. :)
One Ping Only

OvermindDL1

I just wanted something that was part of the forum not bridged or whatever, actually part of it, but none existed, so I made it.  If you don't mind some code hacking to get it look the way you want, I can give it out, without any code hacking it would look as it does.  Working on it some more as I type this as well...

Core

I like it like it is, I just dropped in to see if anyone was workign on anything new and find this...
  Anytime you're ready to share it as it is, I'm willing to see how fast I can break it for you....errr, I mean, I'd be very happy to use it, since I can't for the life of me create my own.....

~C

OvermindDL1

What I have thus far is remarkably little code.  The way SMF does its layouts and organization make it quite easy.

Michele

Yeah, Enigma is coming out with Enigma 2 for SMF. It will be as seamlessly integrated as Enigma was for YSE, and so far it looks like we'll use SMF's templating system instead of ours. As to when... as soon as we have something presentable to show you, we will, but we're hoping it will be soon. We still have to run our code by the Simple Machine folks and get an okay from them to release it.

You'll know more when we know more. :)

Michele
Dubito ergo cogito ergo sum

Advertisement: