reCAPTCHA for SMF

Started by 青山 素子, December 28, 2007, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

I do have a job and other obligations, so I just haven't found the time to update yet. The more people ask, the less motivated I will be to update anytime soon.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Bugo

Please add russian translation => these files in attachments.

Aoife

Just wanted to say thank you for this addon and for the update!   ;D

Greymalkin

Quote from: Motoko-chan on March 10, 2010, 02:04:29 PM
It replaces the image verification where SMF displays it. For 1.1, this is registration only. For 2.0, it is also in the other areas that the image verification shows, including guest posts and new posters - if you are using that feature.

Excellent, sounds perfect. :)

I've hit a snag trying to install it with my custom theme, though.  When I try to pull up the parsing instructions for 2.0 RC 2 it says it's not supported for that version.  And, when I try to use the RC3 instructions for index.css edits (the only ones I need to make), I'm directed to "?> at the end of the file" but there's no ?> there. 

Help, please? :)

青山 素子

Stick the CSS changes at the end of the file. The mod parser displays it as looking for a ?> at the end of the file, but it doesn't actually do that for CSS files.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Greymalkin

Okay, it's installed.  Unfortunately, no image is appearing (just a question mark in a little blue box).  My theme doesn't have a GenericControls.template file.  Should I copy the one from the default theme, and will that fix the problem?

EDIT:  duh.  Helps if I turn it on.  Nevermind and thanks. :)

wlchase

Sooo.... I started to install the new version, and my board told me there was no uninstall for the old one. I cracked out the editor and did my best to revert the changes manually.  Then it wouldn't install the new version, so I go back and follow the manual installation instructions.

I have 2 issues now. One is no biggie, the "Use reCaptcha" text next to the selection box to enable it is missing. The selection box is there and works.

The bigger issue, which I confess I never tried before today, is that if I try to register, and try the spoken text, it never seems to match the written text.

Thanks for any help.
Bill

Sorry, SMF 1.1.11, reCaptcha 0.9.8
Bill http://www.czfirearms.us  SysAdmin

青山 素子

Quote from: wlchase on March 15, 2010, 06:46:37 PM
Sooo.... I started to install the new version, and my board told me there was no uninstall for the old one. I cracked out the editor and did my best to revert the changes manually.  Then it wouldn't install the new version, so I go back and follow the manual installation instructions.

There haven't been any major changes for 1.1 in the newest versions. If you're running a very old version, the uninstall won't work unless you emulate an older SMF version.

I have 2 issues now. One is no biggie, the "Use reCaptcha" text next to the selection box to enable it is missing. The selection box is there and works.

The text should be in the language files, unless you are using a language not translated yet.

The bigger issue, which I confess I never tried before today, is that if I try to register, and try the spoken text, it never seems to match the written text.

That is correct. The spoken words will be different from the written words.
Motoko-chan

Denvious

Hello there,

Just managed to get recaptcha working on my forums. Great mod, except i have a small problem. The captcha image is floating to the left of the verification box.
Im running smf 2.0RC3 atm, and i'm wondering if there is currently a method to center the captcha. I've attempted to center it using the css file associated with the theme but it doesn't seem to work. Any hints?

Thanks

青山 素子

Denvious, link to the forum please.
Motoko-chan

Denvious

Ive sent you a pm with the link Motoko-chan.

青山 素子

Denvious, add the following CSS rule to index.css:

#recaptcha_area
{
    margin: auto;
}
Motoko-chan

jay.clark

Quote from: jossanaijr on December 29, 2007, 05:56:50 AM
What's the advantage of this?

Dunno what the advantage is for SMF, however I checked out the reCaptcha website and got the PHP code.

I have a number of html forms on my sites to obtain user input and suggestions, and frankly was getting tired of the spam replies that were flooding in.

I implemented the reCaptcha stuff, and was able to come up with a single php file that.
1. Gathers the input
2. Validates the input
3. Uses reCaptcha to prevent the spam bots from filling in the blanks
4. Sends multiple emails with the contents of the user input
5. Sends the user a thank you email

Pretty slick, and the number of spam submission has gone to zero

jayr
SMF 1.11- SMF 2.0 RC2/RC3 - - RSS Feed Poster 2.2,RSS Feeder 1.1.4, Downloads System Pro 1.0.17.1, SMF Classifieds 1.3.5, SMF Gallery Pro 3.0.2, SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum 1.0 Felidae, Aeva Media 1.1b, Ultimate Profile     0.9, Google Analytics Code 1.1, Twitter and Facebook Publisher mod 2.4, Stop Spammer 2.3.7, SMF Links 2.2, Site map 2.1.2, AjaxChat Integration 3.2.1, Ad Management 2.3.6

SMF (Donated) SMF Links (donated) - Ad Manager (donated) - phpMyChat (donated)

Denvious

Thanks Motoko-Chan, it worked =D.

Oh and to simplify how i fixed it, i just went into the Forum themes folder (because im using a different theme), and went into the css file. Then added Motoko-chan's code into the css file.

Thanks again!

Denvious

jman

Hello, how do i unpack and install this mod on my forum,
seeing it is in tar.gz format, is there a there a .zip version,
'cause i cant open it.

Thanks

青山 素子

Just install it through the package manager.
Motoko-chan

jman

Thanks. ive done it and its working

adamcanada

I am trying to install the newest version of this plugin on 2.0, RC2 but it says it doesn't support this version?

flapjack

try emulate RC2 with Advanced options on your Packages screen

adamcanada

I took out RC2 and just put 2.0, same error

Advertisement: