How do I access newly installed mods?

Started by 58tbird, February 23, 2008, 12:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58tbird

Hi!

I successfully uploaded and installed the Ad Management, Easy Edit Meta Data, and Custom Profile Field mods.  However, I have no idea how to access them now.  I assumed new entries would show-up under the Main or Configuration headings in my Admin panel after installation, but they're not there.

All three are listed under Installed Packages along with SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update.

I've searched, and Googled, and looked for help in docs.  Help!

shadow82x

- Hi, are you using a custom theme?
- Are you using utf-8?

Also have you tried searching this community?
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

karlbenson

are you using the default theme?
Most mods only install automatically onto the SMF Default Core Theme.
For other themes you may need to manually install the mod onto the theme.

use a package parser to provide you the edits for your theme
http://www.adrevenueshare.com/parser

Alternatively it migth be just that your missing the language strings from language files.
This could happen if your using utf8 or a language not supported by the mod.
In which case copying the language strings your equivalent utf8 or other language file will resolve the problem.

58tbird

Hi shadow82x!  Yes, I searched this community - are you asking because you are aware of a strand that answers my question?  If so, please link to it if you can. 

Hi karlbenson!  Is a parser only needed to install mods manually?  If so, my mods are installed - all three are listed under Installed Packages along with SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update.

Is my assumption that there should be something showing in my Admin panel correct, or am I looking in the wrong place?

I'm sorry - I should have mentioned that I am using the SMF Default Core Theme.  I don't know what utf-8 is, so unless I could accidentally have stumbled on it somehow, I suppose I'm not using it.

Thank you both for your help!

P.S. I just checked my Error Log to find 5 pages of the same errors repeated:

Several say: "Unable to load the 'Ads.english-utf8' language file."

The others say:

"8: Undefined index: ad_management
File: ....Sources/Subs.php
Line: 2745"

"8: Undefined index: cp_cpfields
File: ...Sources/ModSettings.php
Line: 148"

"8: Undefined index: mods_cat_meta
File: ...Sources/ModSettings.php
Line: 139"

"8: Undefined index: brd
File: ...Sources/Search.php
Line: 407"

(I didn't know if I should show the complete address or not, so I replaced with ....)

greyknight17

For the last error there, use this mod to fix it.

Most mods will have there settings somewhere in the Admin panel. Some will be directly viewable while others may be buried one level deeper like in Features and Options or Permissions. It all depends on what the mod does. For example, if it's a mod related to Permissions, I'm sure it will be under the Admin->Permissions area ;)

If you still can't find them (the Ad Management itself should be in the main Admin panel on the left panel), then check the forum language. Go to Admin->Server Settings and make sure it's set to english and not english-utf8.

58tbird

Thank you greyknight17...that's what I'm talkin' about! 

I changed the language to "English" (the only one in the drop down list not followed by "-utf-8") and Ad Management now shows-up last in the list of menu items directly under Admin>Configuration.

"Meta" and "Custom Profile Fields" are now separate tabs under Admin>Configuration>Features and Options.

...Success!!

Now, for the "SMF 1.1.4 Search "brd" Bug Fix (1.0.1)" you had my install -- is there anything I need to do with that one?  It appeared to have done it's thing after I downloaded, uploaded, and installed it (after a while, the activity stopped and the page just went blank).

I still have the same errors, logged as late as 20 minutes ago (I believe that's before I changed the language setting).  Should I delete all those errors?

greyknight17

For the search bug fix, just apply and install the mod. You don't need to do anything else after that.

Yes, please delete the errors. Then navigate around in the forum to see if it returns.

58tbird

No errors all day - thank you once again greyknight17! :)

Advertisement: