Sticky first post in topic

Started by elPoison, January 08, 2005, 03:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elPoison

Hello!

How about a little mod to make it possible to sticky the very first post of topic, like it's done for example in vBulletin? I.e., when you watching the page, different from the first one of the topic, you still able to see the first post of it.
hxxp:www.kingclub.ru/ [nonactive]

destalk

Just adding my vote for this request (Yes, I know I started a topic about it a while ago) ;)

destalk

Hi

Ah sorry, I may have misunderstood this request.   :-[

I was after the first post of every thread (i.e. the initial 'starter' post) always being visible at teh top of a thread.

elPoison

Quote from: destalk on January 09, 2005, 09:36:23 PM
Hi

Ah sorry, I may have misunderstood this request.   :-[

I was after the first post of every thread (i.e. the initial 'starter' post) always being visible at teh top of a thread.

Yes, I was talking about the same. So, the request is still remain in force
hxxp:www.kingclub.ru/ [nonactive]

[Unknown]

Well, this wouldn't be too hard... but personally, I'd prefer to see it made a mod first and see how popular the mod got (before it becoming a full-fledged feature.)

-[Unknown]

kuklovod

Searched through the mod list and seems it's still not there... Thats a one most-needed feature (in fact, the only mod I'd install on brand new RC1), others mostly look like toys... Maybe I'm missing something and it's been done? Or it's time for some hacking...

Sheepy

No it hasn't been done IIRC.  If you need it that bad, may be you can consider hacking it yourself?  After that you can make it a popular mod~ ^_^

kuklovod

i am not sure I want the trouble of supporting the mod and making a button in the admin for it etc (just no time), but if there is a place i can send diffs to for someone to make a mod, i can do that...

kuklovod

In case anyone needs, I did it in a form of mod extending sticky topic functionality: if topic is sticky, display first post on all pages and also add a separator between sticky and non-sticky topics on a topic list page. Only for RC1, if anyone wants to make it 1.0.5 mod please do.

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=235

redone

Nice mod! I am sure it will be used by many.

kuklovod

updated since the first version had an extra tab and it was not installing :) doh.

destalk

Nice mod. Not really what the request was about though, but still good.

kuklovod

why? You mean there should be a way to make it an option for any topic, irregardless of sticky status? I just thought it makes sense together with stickied topics since that's usually the topics which: a. are long :) and b. have first post with relevant information, not just big flame topics :)

Currently tested on three of my boards (1.1RC1 and 1.0.5 ones), works well and uninstalls clean too. Do you know what's the standard procedure for getting mods approved?

destalk

I do understand how this would be extra useful for sticky threads.

But if I were to implement such a feature on my forums, I would want it that every topic had to function in this way. I think that it is confusing to some users if different threads function in different ways.

My understanding of this mod/feature, was that it would keep the first post at the top constantly (like a Poll) so that users could constantly refer to it. It's a good way to keep a discussion 'on-topic'. I suppose some admins might decide to only enable the feature on some of their boards and leave it off on some of the more 'off-topic' boards.

Perhaps when this is used for sticky topics, there could be something to identify it as a sticky or 'moderator' topic?

kuklovod

I'll work on making it a per-board selectable option, however that would require modifying admin pages which I tried to avoid, to make it as simple as possible (SMF way :) ). However, a patch to enable it for all topics is very simple - just remove "if $context['is_sticky']" conditions in two files, so I can make an alternate version in no time.

gri

Quote from: "url=http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=23726.msg414955#msg414955]kuklovod in ~Topic: Sticky first post in topic~ date=1134059416[/url]"]
however that would require modifying admin pages
                          which I tried to avoid,
        to make it as simple as possible (SMF way :) ) .

so I can make an alternate version in no time.

kuklovod,
          Sticking first post in a topic -
          is just a subtotal.
          In general an Author of the Topic
          should have an ability to determine by a global link.. -
          which post of any topic of any forum of the planet
          is being currently displayed at the top of the posts page
          so managing the flow of varying discussion.

This approach is also confirmed by the necessity
          of independent consequent grouth
          of the ~original leading post~, topic,
                           or set of topics branches..
          under the rules of any forum of the parent posts
arrangement.

More over,, the separate topics -
          both one with mother discussion ("antchugovik")
          and another "polliwog" topic
                       which is an object being discussed,
          may arise either asinchronously and independently
                                          overtaking each other
                    or appear one from inside the other..

Can both these general options be added to the mod.. -
              ~Stick any preselectably post to existing topic~
                                      (bound topic to the post)
    and
              ~Create New associated discussion topic
                          with the current parent original post
                   as its sticky post~ ?

In last case the related button is needed -
                   "Quote to New Antchugovik"
                                with original post subname
                          as the default name for a New topic
                      and with grivitinik inside the global quote header,
               and the grivitoutik should be added
                   to the original post special grivitout section
         at the moment of related topic (antchugovik) creation
    and (_optionally_ for further development)
         with the first post added on behalf of
                  parent post author's nickname!
                        with that same grivitinik
                                       in the first topic post
                       which will bound the sticked first post of new topic
         with the parent global original postS.

~Will play dolls~ ?

kuklovod

I think someone here played too much Master Of Orion but nevertheless the idea of stickying the first post of every topic in the universe to some universal first post stickying place is intriguing, I will get right to it as soon as I finish creating a stable whitetail deer population on Mars, who currently are in absolute need of speedy delivery of oxygen and "more grass" they say, maybe you can help, with your intergalactic vessel? Mostly grass, and some oxygen to help it burn.

Advertisement: