News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

add multiple line text area box to profile for bio?

Started by junen, January 12, 2005, 12:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junen

My forum is for a class reunion organization. I'd like for the members to be able to include a paragraph about themselves. The personal text field initially seemed ideal.. but it only allows for a sentence. The parameters we're allowed to increase do allow for more text.. but at the expense of lengthening the table. It only allows one line.. you see the problem?  :) Is there a way of editing any of the pertinent files to create a multiple line box  replacing one of the fields in the left side of the profile table to make room for an "about me" or "bio" field. I'd like one at least 6 lines high.. with the ability to contain 600 or more characters. Can anyone help me please?

Jerry

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

junen

I'd found the discussion on the scripting help thread, and had tried the tutorial out.. do you know what happened? Every edit I made, and saved didn't take. I'd recheck the profile template php file, only to find that the changes I'd made were gone. I'm editing the file with a text editor that I've used for years now FTPEditor, so I know it's not that. I even tried performing the edits with Filemanager in the cpanel, but with the same end result.

[Unknown]

Strange.  So it's just not saving?

Can you modify other files?

-[Unknown]

junen

After reading your post, I tried deleting some content from the profile file, and saved it. Upon checking it, the deleted text was back. I think that perhaps the file is written to. I spent my afternoon tooling around looking at code for multiple line text fields and trying to increase what little I know (when I say little I'm giving myself far too much credit.. my knowlege is virtually nil) about this type of software program so I can experiment tomorrow morning.. I'll post here after I see the reults.  I'm determined to make this work.

Advertisement: