Thread Rating that effects one's membergroup / rating?

Started by Raine, October 28, 2003, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raine

Well, a big concern in my messageboard since the first days of YaBBSE is the post-based membergroups.. A lot of members were concerned with users who would just spam and spam useless or quasi-useless posts to up their post count to get to another membergroup.

An idea I've read recently from my messageboard is quite interesting...

A post AND rating based membergroup system, in which the number of post counts + the rating of the threads you make should effect your rating.  Of course, there would have to be a lot of math in figuring out an ideal rating system, but just for an example (totally made up on the spot), your rating is based on =

Your Total Post Count
Divided by your Average Rating (ratings are from 1 to 5 ... the higher the rating, the lower the number)...
this would then decide your membergroup ... of cousre, there would be a lot of exceptions or rules to these membergroups that admins can set in, such that certain members will always be a certain type, etc...

I know this is somewhat related to the karma mod and is somewhat related to the current membergroups settings, but having the Karma actually count toward something would be nice...

Ideas?

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Raine on October 28, 2003, 02:48:23 PM
Well, a big concern in my messageboard since the first days of YaBBSE is the post-based membergroups.. A lot of members were concerned with users who would just spam and spam useless or quasi-useless posts to up their post count to get to another membergroup.

So why not just ditch the stars and make all the post-based membergroups the same (which is what I've done on all my boards)?

QuoteA post AND rating based membergroup system, in which the number of post counts + the rating of the threads you make should effect your rating.

FWIW, thread rating systems I've seen on other boards just seem to open up another avenue for abuse (a bit like karma in a way), with threads generally being given maximum or minimum ratings if they're rated at all (and occasionally ending up somewhere in the middle as rival factions try to take them up or down), but I guess it ultimately boils down to the maturity of your users!

Advertisement: