News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Time limited attachements

Started by klumy, October 31, 2003, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klumy

Hi,

How about a time limited attachement option, while you add an attaachent to your post.
Means after e.g. 30 days, the attachement will be automatically deleted, if you have entered 30 days.

This function could be useful, if you add very large attachements, which are just actual for a short period of time. Auto-Deleting it after 30 days could save traffic and HD capacity of the server.

James Woodcock

In SMF I have (Beta1a) there is a attachment manager where you can remove attachments older then 'x' number of days or over 'x'kb in size.  It is not automatic, but the option is there :)

The manager also lists all the attachments and lists size, filename, date, poster and which topic it was entered on.  An already great system!

joker

klumys proposal could enhance the posting options, while the admin interface should set e.g. a standard expire period or wether such one would be active or not.
joker ;-)

klumy

yes this was the idea, to give the user the option to change the attachement time limit instead of the admin

James Woodcock

Although I see the benefits you would be left with posts and a reference to a none existant image though.  What if the post was popular and after 30days was still being replied to.  The post would be there but the image not!

klumy

Well this should just be an "optional" function for the user. He may use it or not. For images it doesn't make sense. But e.g. for other things like small programs or so which are outdated after a few month or so.

James Woodcock

Well I dont think forums should hold programs anyway, to much of a risk of virus or buggy program could lead to daft people blaming the forum as a whole rather then the *.exe file or the person uploading it.

klumy

It is possible, if you make a restricted subforum just for people you know (like charter members or so..)

Advertisement: