The Rules

Started by Deprecated, August 25, 2008, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

Thanks SgtMic and everybody else with kudos. :) I wanted this mod for my own production forum but I expected that many others would feel the same way, and it seems that is the case. I was inspired by an older version of vBulletin with a similar function, and if it's good enough for vBulletin I figure it's good enough for SMF. :)

Let The Rules rule! ;)

Cal O'Shaw

I also think this is a super MOD, and glad to know it will exist in 2.0.0

I installed it (1.0.3) and then had to pull it for the moment because I wanted to take a little time to configure it as I needed and then release the finished pages, but discovered it was visible immediately.

If you're open to an idea for the next version, perhaps a check box that makes Rules visible/invisible in the button bar?  That would allow for draft work on the pages by Admins.

(Being able to give access to The Rules settings to membergroups is a "nice to have" but not crucial.)

You have produced some really useful MODs here!

Grazie mille!

Cal

Nequil

where I can delete this italic font?

Deprecated

Cal, thanks for the compliment! Perhaps I'll consider your idea. In the mean time, make a post in your mod/admin area and edit your rules there to your heart's content. When you're satisfied with the result, just cut 'n paste it into your Rules configuration panel.

Nequil, The Rules has nothing in it related to fonts. Perhaps that's part of your theme.

jimvy

This mod is now working perfect in my forum. Thanks for the help in getting it to work. The 2nd file fixed it.

Sabre™

Quote from: Cal O'Shaw on August 28, 2008, 02:50:44 AM......... perhaps a check box that makes Rules visible/invisible in the button bar?  That would allow for draft work on the pages by Admins.

While  playing with my forum, I decided to make this action....  but only because I was bored lol
My code is pretty much different to this, and messier :P  but someone will be able to convert it to work for you.
Ill just throw it up.

Settings Template
      ),
                array(
                        'id' => 'rules_tab',
                        'label' => 'Hide Rules tab',

Index Template
       if (empty($settings['rules_tab']))
                 echo '
                  <li class="level1"><a href="address to rules page goes here" class="level1"><span><span class="title">Rules</span></span></a></li>';

Sorry I couldnt convert it for you, but Im learning slowly myself, and you can see I dont use the same layout as in this mod.
If you look closely, its all self explanatory and you may be able to do it yourself.
Good luck :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Deprecated

I would just put another variable in the database to control it, then test that variable in the 'show' => setting in Sups.php (SMF2 version, SMF1 YMMV).

Nequil

Nequil, The Rules has nothing in it related to fonts. Perhaps that's part of your theme.

but where I can edit this ? :)

Deprecated

Quote from: Nequil on August 28, 2008, 10:05:47 PM

but where I can edit this ? :)

I have no idea. In your theme? You must not be running SMF default theme. Tell us what theme you are using.

GL700Wing

Great mod - thanks!!

Kathy
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

L.G.S

Quote from: Deprecated on August 26, 2008, 09:00:38 AM
Quote from: L.G.S on August 26, 2008, 05:54:13 AM
Can you please make it so that the Rules page has a proper title? It doesn't look good with just the link up there.

OIC. You mean there is no proper <TITLE>. Can you give me a quick pointer to where that is invoked?

I don't know.

Probably <title> tags.
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

Deprecated

I'm sure that's what you meant LGS. The Rules version 1.03 fixes it. It's the text that you see along the top of your browser window. Your browser uses the text between <title> and </title> to determine what text to show. I appreciate your pointing that out. :)

flinx

Deprecated, first I would like to thank you for this great mod.
I have only one problem: when I click on the 'rules' tab, it shows the rules page, but it highlights the 'Home' tag.
I'm using the SMF default theme and SMF 1.1.5

What should I do to get the 'rules' tag highlighted?

Deprecated

Verify that you are using the latest version of The Rules from the mod site, then verify that the language strings got added in the correct file. If the language file is correct then download your modified files and check each one to make sure that the modified lines got modified correctly. In almost every case of a failed mod I have found that the problem was caused by one of two things: (1) I made a coding mistake (okay, I'm only human) or (2) the mod didn't get added correctly to SMF's files. The solution is always the same: you check the files and make sure that the code got added correctly.

I'm almost wondering if I should add a set of modified files to my downloads. There would be one set for SMF 1.1.5 and one set for SMF 2.0, and they would be the official code with just my one modification installed. For most of my mods all you would need to do to install manually is to first remove all your mod packages, and then just replace your files with my files. I'll look into it.

Sabre™

Quote from: flinx on September 03, 2008, 09:34:54 AM
when I click on the 'rules' tab, it shows the rules page, but it highlights the 'Home' tag.

Look for the section // Work out where we currently are. in your index.template.php and go down 4 lines to where it says
if (in_array($context['current_action'], array('gallery', 'search',   yadda yadda yadda

Add    'rules',   anywhere within that line, after search and before the last, just to make it easy for you ;)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

flinx

Thanks Sabre, that did the trick. The installation of the 'rules' mod had already modified that file, but for some reason hadn't added the new menu item to that section.

kizer

Yes an on/off or I should say a visable switch would be nice so we can tweak and add things before it goes live. I have a habit of wanting to make sure things look nice in a semi production environment before the rest of the world sees it.

Other than that I might give this a go. Does it support images as well maybe using <html> or [img] tags?
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

Deprecated

You can see what your "things" look like by posting them as a normal topic, presumably in a private admin board. Tweak that to your satisfaction, then cut 'n past the result into The Rules.

You can use anything you would use in a normal post.

kizer

Thanks that answers my questions and really helps too.
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

tk2012

Hey bud -

Have another one for ya....I posted this in the Custom Forms thread, but was steered here...

I have an error that has crept up on the error log.  I didn't manually enter this portion, so I'm not sure what happened, but it looks like it entered the new code in the wrong area.  Not sure though, so would like confirmation.. or a solution if that isn't the entire problem..

using v2.0 b3.1 on default theme (w/ color changes only)
** can see error info attached **

Advertisement: