News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

smf 1.1.5 to smf 2.0 upgrade

Started by hadesflames, August 25, 2008, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hadesflames

Hello I am trying to perform a 1.1.5 to 2.0 upgrade in order to test out 2.0 on a test forum. What i did was do a fresh 1.1.5 install on a different directory, then using a back up of my main forum the test forum became like a clone of my main forum. everything is working perfectly, then i delete 1.1.5 files (except settings.php and settings_bak.php) and upload the contents of the smf 2.0 upgrade back. I start the update and in the very first step "Updating and creating indexes..." I get a pink box that says error, and the script stops there. It also says:

Updating indexes on "messages"...

any suggestions?

ccbtimewiz

hadesflames

wish i knew =/ it does not say =[

screen shot:

H

Hi hadesflames,
Sorry for the late response.
Did you manage to resolve this problem?

If not have you tried ticking the box to provide more debug information when running the upgrade?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Zook

Don't know about hadesflames but I get the exact same error.
I ticked the box for more debug information but no more info about the error than hadesflames..

any thoughts?

H

You're also upgrading from 1.1.5?

Did you have any mods installed?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Zook

Yes I'm upgrading from 1.1.5.
No mods but a Swedish translation and some themes.

greyknight17

hadesflames, you should not need to delete any of the files. Just overwrite them with the SMF 2.0 upgrade files instead.

Zook, is this the upgrade to the newest 2.0 beta 4?

Zook

Yes I am using the upgrade to Beta 4.
I've tried to change permissions to all files and directories (777) but no difference. The error occurs like said earlier when indexing the messages. Maybe something wrong in the sql syntax?

greyknight17

Is this issue resolved? If not, try dropping the current database and use a backup that you made before the upgrade. Restore the database and then try the upgrade again.

Zook

Nope, been busy for a while...
I will try your suggestions.

Thanks

Geko

Exact same problem here. Dropping the database does not fix this. There is some kind of a bug in the installer.

Geko

Someone from support please respond to this.

torquone

Hi hadesflames. I had the same problem of you.

I solved my problem running the script repair_setting.php.

What is repair_settings.php?

After i ran this script , i corrected the theme folder and the theme url folder and i solved this problem.

My site : http://www.quattrochiacchiere.net [nofollow]

khamseen

I have been experimenting with setting up 2.0 Beta 4 as I wish to upgrade from 1.1.5 but so far I'm not getting very far.

I used a temporary install of 2.0 beta 4 to see if I could import the old database but have had no luck there. Especially since for some reason SMF 1.1.5 has decided to stop letting me save a backup of the database.

I used an older version of our site to try the upgrade facility and got this exact same error. The only explanation given was "UNKNOWN ERROR".

If someone could offer assistance on either how to sort the upgrade or how to easier transfer to a fresh install, I would be very greatful.

Also, for the record, I am using a custom theme, and using several mods.
"In hope we find despair and in despair we find truth." - Myself

Rumbaar

There are 4 different people in this thread, requiring support.  I know they are probably similar or even the same.  But trying to deal with 4 different people at once is nightmare for anyone giving support.  This is why it's best to create individual threads, so details that are 100% relevant to your issue can be finalised.

I know in the past with anything other than the core files of the upgrade process I got errors.  This includes custom themes and/or language files.

As for hadesflames when you created the copy, did you run repair_settings.php and then make sure all the theme paths were 100% correct.  As the process of deleting all the files and then uploaded the fresh files should result in a successful upgrade.  I can only think of a left over db issue from 1.1.5.  Did you clear out all unimportant logs before export and copy of the db?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

khamseen

I have actually since then gotten my SMF 2.0 working and have succesfully integrated my SMF 1.1.6 database files into it.

Rumbaar

Well I'm sure sharing the method you used to finally get it working could benefit others.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

khamseen

By all means. Sorry I have memory problems so sometimes I don't think of these things when I do them lol.

What you will need;

Access to phpMyAdmin (or equivalent)
SMF 2.0 Beta 4 Full Install
SMF 2.0 Beta 4 Large Upgrade
repair_settings.php (attached to my post)

The Steps;

1. Create a back up of the SQL database via phpMYAdmin.

2. Delete the SMF 1.1.x install from the server (leave things like download folders, avatars or anything else you might want again.)

3. Upload the SMF 2.0 Beta Full Install files and run them via www.yourdomain.com/install.php

4. After running the install upload the repair_settings.php file and run it to make sure all directory paths are correct.

5. Open up phpMyadmin again and then delete ALL database tables.

6. Whilst still in phpMyAdmin upload your backup of the SQL database from your 1.1.x install.

7. From the SMF 2.0 Large Upgrade, upload "upgrade.php" along with the 5 "upgrade_*.php" files to the root directory of your server.

8. Run the upgrade via www.yourdomain.com/upgrade.php do not worry about creating database table backups at this point as you already have them. Simply have it repair and update table information.

9. Once the upgrade completes run the repair_settings.php again and turn off maintenance mode. **SECURITY RISK - DELETE THIS FILE AT THIS STAGE**

10. You should now have the forums up and running using 2.0 Beta 4 and all boards, topics and posts should be as they were along with any account details or member data. If you have kept your avatar folders for local storage they should not be affected either.

Hope that helps some people. I have my complete upgrade next weekend so hoping all goes as smoothly the second time around (first/current one is on a trial sub domain.)

FidelGonzales

CORRECTION

The five files actually are .sql extension.

SUGGESTION

In between step 7 and 8, run repair_settings.php once again, especially if you happen to be working between two directories, a live and a backup. Otherwise, you may receive the following error.
Critical Error!
The upgrade script cannot find script.js or it is out of date. Make sure your theme paths are correct. You can download a setting checker tool from the Simple Machines Website

Nevertheless, I am still receiving this error.

QuoteError!
Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again

During the following step of the upgrade.

QuoteExecuting upgrade script 1 of 2.
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script).

I may try something a bit different and will report back. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement: