News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Conversion Frustration

Started by RoguePin, November 18, 2012, 10:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoguePin

Yo!

I'll be the first to say that conversions from whatever system to another is really FULL of issues and problems ... be that operating systems, databases, bb forums or whatever.

Nevertheless, IMHO, it is simply infuriating to attempt conversion to SMF from, in my case, myBB. The Converter encounters an error and stops right there. Period. Conversion unsuccessful.

It would be ... IDEAL ... I suppose, if, first, there were some useful info there to assist with troubleshooting the error, and next, allowing the conversion attempt to continue after correcting whatever error occurred.

I have so far encountered the following errors in converting a myBB 1.6.8 to SMF 2.0.2 Forum:

1. SELECT command denied to user:

-Resolved: added mySQL database user to myBB database and the new SMF database in my host's cPanel

2. The Birthday Issue:

Converting members...Wrong value type sent to the database. Date expected. (birthdate)

-Resolved: using phpAdmin in my host's cpanel, I opened the "myBB_users" table and deleted the birthday from each user that had entered one. After reverifying that there were NO VALUES in the 'birthday' column, the conversion of myBB 1.6.1 to SMF 2.0.2 completed successfully ... for the TEST we were doing.

3. Now that we're going live, we're choking on this error:

Converting posts (this may take some time)...The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: modified_name

I'm clueless on this one. There's no "modified_name" in the myBB dbase. I totally don't understand where on earth it's pulling that data from or where it's trying to insert it to.

The bottom line is that whenever a snag is encountered with a SMF conversion, it's hours, days, now weeks! I really think there ought to be a better way than crashing and burning after every little error like this.

(Please 'scuse my frustration!)

-PeterMac

PS: I DO note that the support on SMF IS active and current, and that's a MAJOR PLUS! It's a large part of why we're troubling with the conversion. Frustration notwithstanding, it's nice to know that there IS support at SMF!

ThorstenE

RoguePin,
the last error is IMO related to MySQL beeing in strict mode.
Please try the "unofficial" converter from my custom converters repo at github (see my signature). You'll need to replace the original mybb16_to_smf.sql with the file from my repo..

RoguePin

Thanks for your reply, Thorsten ...

...but now the convert.php can't find any "conversion data files". I used the "mybb16_to_smf.sql" from your "github.com/eurich/smf_converters" page but it seems the convert,php can't find it.

Please advise,

Thanks.

-PeterMac

ThorstenE

mhh, possibly you did something wrong while downloading?!? I've never seen such error, except there is no ..._to_smf.sql file ..

https://github.com/eurich/smf_converters/archive/master.zip
extract the ZIP, then copy mybb16_to_smf.sql via FTP to your host.

RoguePin

Thanks again for your reply, Thorsten.

I don't understand ... you say "there is no '_to_smf.sql'"?

Well, the file I tried today was the "mybb16_to_smf.sql" file from your hxxp:master.zip [nonactive] file. The conversion started, but had the same "The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: modified_name" error.

Regrettably there's not a lot of time left. The client wants to keep the posts for the forum as well as the users even though we're just starting out. Or I may end up just saying let's start over with a fresh install of SMF ... being a pro bono project I just might do that ... SMF is superior to myBB in several ways ... just not, it seems in my case, in converting from another forum system.

Thanks again,

-PeterMac

ThorstenE

a quick and "dirty" fix, in mybb16_to_smf.sql find:

SUBSTRING(IF(p.edituid > 0, edit_u.username, 0), 1, 255) AS modified_name,
REPLACE with
'' AS modified_name,
then restart the converter.

RoguePin

Why, Thorsten, I'd just like to say "Thank You!" And my client is tickled to death ... the forum was converted successfully!  ;D

If you'd like, we're at hxxp:www.roguepinball.com [nonactive]. It's a forum dedicated to all things Pinball, especially regarding Visual Pinball. The primary purpose is for VP table authors to discuss creating tables for Visual Pinball, including recreations of some of our favorite tables from the Arcades. VP is totally openSource, so these tables can be played on the PC for free, or specially created tables can be played "full screen" on a multiple monitor setup for a more realistic pinball experience.

Anyway, please excuse the dust as we've just got that working. But my thanks again .. our conversion's complete!

Also thanks for being patient while I was frustrated. But I'm very happy to know that, as we go forward with SMF, there is SUPPORT here that can be counted on.

Problem RESOLVED!

Have a nice day!  :)

-PeterMac

Itchigotim

As the owner of Rogue Pinball.com  I wanted to say thank you also. I had a forum (free, but with ads) that we had just moved from to a hosted site under Mybb. So my members had already moved once. Having to have evryone sign up again, was the kiss of death IMO. So glad we got this converted. I'm already seeing many differences between the two. But I'm not a coder either as I only picked up the computer a little over 4 years ago, so I can edit the .css, but not write it from scratch yet. Soon. Thanks again!
Roguepinball: ¡¡ɟooɹ ǝɥʇ uo ǝʇıs ןןɐquıd ʇsǝq ǝɥʇ

rodelio.lagahit

sorry for being noob, how do i run or use the converters specifically for myBB to SMF 2.0? :(

Advertisement: