News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Started by Dempeduck, November 08, 2003, 12:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dempeduck

I've alway found it somewhat annoying that whenever someone changes their avatar it changes the avatar/signature/whatever on all their posts even ones from way back when.  It's a small thing but it would be cool if their was an option to have your old things stay and only have your new posts have the new avatar.  An admin option maybe? A user option?

Yeah pretty stupid but hey, someone out there might like it..
"You thought the leaden winter, would bring you down forever,
But you rode upon a steam to the surface of the Sun"
--Tales of Brave Ulysses, Cream

Tyris

hmm... would be kinda useful maybe for some...
but because as each post is displayed, it loads the stuff from your profile and displays it..
I suppose you could add the extra fields into the message table... wouldnt be too hard... but would take up a reasonable ammount more space... coz each message would essentially store a few sections of the persons profile (personal text, avatar, username.. sig?)

it could probably be done with a more complex but space saving method... dunno tho...

I personally wouldnt have much use for it myself.

[Unknown]

I've always felt that it's better to have uptodate information... rather than old crap...

For example, let's say you had in your signature, "Offering free hosting for a limited time!"  You would want this to be on all your posts in the interest of getting more people interested - but after the limited time is up, you wouldn't want it to show on any of your posts.

The signature, avatar, name, etc... are all information relating to *you* not your posts.  While they could quite easily be tied to the posts, this was *purposefully* not done because, well, at least I think it's better this way.

Another example is the website.  What if you got a new URL, (and the old one no longer worked...) but all your posts on the forum still linked to the old one?

-[Unknown]

Tyris

yeah, thats pretty much the same thing I was thinking... I cept I wasnt thinking much... so thats like more detailed ;)

needless to say as a standard feature I think this would be far too much to bother implementing as most people wouldn't really want it... however if enough people did then someone will likely make a mod for it (I will if ya really want ;D)

James Woodcock

Hmmm yeah I prefer the whole autu update thing.  Old info is a sign of a poor forum system really

Dempeduck

Just the avatar staying would be cool for a mod.  The rest is pretty stupid.
"You thought the leaden winter, would bring you down forever,
But you rode upon a steam to the surface of the Sun"
--Tales of Brave Ulysses, Cream

Acf

If have avatar hosted somewhere and the host died then you have a nice [x]...
And only the new post would have avatar hosted some where else and not an [x].

It would only work if the people have the avatars that come with the forum and linked from someplace else.

*acf
Sigh...

Advertisement: