News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Easy 1.1.7 Question

Started by Sabre™, November 08, 2008, 04:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabre™

Howdy peeps.
Since my 1.1.6 forum was thrashed/trashed, I decided to start fresh.
So I installed a fresh copy of 1.1.7, nothing added yet.

I had never really paid any attention to the xhtml validator, but decided I'd give it a whirl.
Well to my inexperienced surprise, I found the fresh install to fail this check! lol
3 errors. Im sure if you were to check you would have them too.
here they are for those not doing a fresh install

Line 206, Column 10: end tag for element "noscript" which is not open.
</noscript>

Line 207, Column 32: document type does not allow element "div" here.
<div style="text-align: center;"><div style="position:relative; top:0; margin-ri

Line 206, Column 11: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: html line 2 and noscript.
</noscript>

Now, my question is obviously how do I fix this?
I assume it isnt of great importance, but I notice how people get  all stroppy when something fails validation.

So, anyone know whats up?

Thank You in advance :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

H

On my test 1.1.7 install I couldn't reproduce this. It is almost a vanilla install except for some unticking some boxes in theme options.

Are you using the news fader? :)
If possible please post a link to the site so I can try and reproduce the issue
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Sabre™

Oh Dang!
I have since installed 8 mods and have ticked a few boxes in the features and layout section lol

These have had no effect on the above errors, as I have just checked, and there aren't any more or less than the ones above.

It was a fresh install buddy, I hadnt ticked anything, or added anything.
As soon as I had setup SMF and was directed to my site, the validation was my next action.

If you like, I could pm you the link to my site.
Some people dont like PMs unless invited to do so. :)

I'll wait for your reply
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Sabre™

H

The problem only seems to occur when using the w3 validator by URL. If I copy and paste the forum source code and input it to w3 as direct input I get a pass. I wonder if one of the mods is outputting something differently when it gets a bot user agent.

Possibly Googlebot and Spiders?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Sabre™

Ahh ok.

Sorry mate, fell asleep lol

Quote from: H on November 08, 2008, 11:03:29 AMI wonder if one of the mods is outputting something differently when it gets a bot user agent.
Possibly Googlebot and Spiders?

Yeah but remember, this was happening as soon as I installed the forum with nothing else added.

So this is not happening for you on your install?

H

I only tried my test site via direct input as it isn't accessible to guests. Certainly when using a user-agent SMF knows about (99% of people will be) then the output does validate.

Not quite sure what is causing this problem with the w3 UA.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Sabre™

Yeah.
I'll install a fresh copy on another site and see if it still occures.
Maybe something was incomplete/corrupt via transfer  ???  <~~reachin for ideas

I'll get back to ya on my find.

Thanks for your assistance so far mate :)

Rumbaar

Does your host insert any code and/or ads?

As a fresh, standard install on a 'normal' host has all three default themes are XHTML compliant.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Sabre™

Well yeah, my host inserts adds.
Do you believe this to be the cause?
If so, I'll close this thread up.

Thanks Rumbaar....    Cheers H

marked as solved

Rumbaar

Yes I do believe that is the cause, when you do the referral check.  Select view source and then check where this error is showing, most likely it will be relating to the code used to generate ads.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Sabre™

Yes indeed, you are correct mate.
These 2 lines are directly before ad code.
Lines 277 and 278

275   <div id="ajax_in_progress" style="display: none;">Loading...</div>
276    </body>
277    </noscript>
278    <div style="text-align: center;"><div style="position:relative; top:0; margin-right:auto;margin-left:auto; z-index:99999">
279    <script type="text/javascript"><!--
280    google_ad_client = "pub-7204668888586354";
281    google_ad_width = 728;
282    google_ad_height = 90;
283    google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
284    google_ad_type = "text_image";
285    google_ad_channel = "";
286    //-->
287    </script>

Are you able to explain to me why the   </noscript>  is there?
I searched the source code and couldn't find     <noscript>

thank you :)

Rumbaar

Well if you've checked your index.template.php file around the part that generates the ajax part and had the end </body></html>'; code.  Then it's an insert performed via your host and you'll have to speak to them, they might be incorrectly inserting code into your forum.

[ Themes ]

Sabre™

Yep will do.
Thanks again mate :)

Cheers

Advertisement: