News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How can I make My Own Theme

Started by sniperelite, November 19, 2008, 01:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniperelite

Hi, Ive recently downloaded the smf 1.7 or what ever, and wanted to know how i can make my totally origional theme. I have dream weaver but when i open any of the php files they are all blank. So how can i make my own custom theme?

Antechinus

First thing you'll need to do is to learn basic php and css. You'll also want half a dozen browsers installed and really for custom design work a local host is worth having.

For file editing grab this: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php

sniperelite

Ok, I know some basic php and css. and what is notepad+. Is it like dream weaver? So how would I get started.

Antechinus

Notepad++ is a file editor. As per:

Quote from: antechinus on November 19, 2008, 03:55:55 PMFor file editing grab this: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php

:P

You would get started by grabbing the template files from a theme and starting to move blocks of code around. You'll love it. Parse errors totally rock. Other thing to do is to knock up an image of what you want the finished result to look like, then check out the templates for a theme which has a similar structure.

sniperelite

Ok, so everything is in code can e moved around. How would I add a custom Header like a pic or somehting.

Antechinus

There are a stack of ways you can code that depending on what effect you're trying to achieve. Really you should start analysing the structure and coding of themes that you like. That is the best way to start getting somewhere. Download some good themes and pull them apart. Play with them and break them, then figure out how to fix them. Do it. You know you want to.

bullbreedluverz

Quote from: antechinus on November 19, 2008, 04:24:57 PMYou'll love it. Parse errors totally rock.

pmsl parse errors are my best friend, well i see them so much they should be lmao

sniperelite

THanks alot guys, ima dl a theme and disect it and learn. youve all been helpful thanks alot.

Gary

You're probably better off messing with a copy of the default theme, that's what most themes are built from.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

sniperelite

Ok....im such a noob...when i open any file in dream  weaver that ends in php for the default theme it comes up blank. I dont know where to start im so confused....

Antechinus

Don't use Dreamweaver. Use Notepad++.

sniperelite

ok. ill try that. um what files from the notepad site do i need?

Antechinus

Hmm. He's got more files there than the last time I looked.

Go to this page: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=95717&package_id=102072

and grab the one called     npp.5.1.1.Installer.exe

TheDisturbedOne

Gary

Just do a Google search for "Free Text Editors" and you'll be sure to find one you like.

By the way, you CAN use Dreamweaver if you want, just use Code View instead of Design View.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Advertisement: