News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

"Unable to open the template html_above"

Started by Lima123, January 04, 2009, 01:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lima123

Hello everybody. My nick is Lima, I'm a brazilian and I have a SMF forum.
Trying to put some modifications in the forum, I made something wrong. So, I decided to delete the "Themes" folder from my host and upload it again.
But, after I did it, everytime I try to enter the forum I have the error "Não foi possível abrir a template 'html_above'.", portuguese phrase that in english means "Unable to open the template html_above".
What should I do to access my forum?
If is necessary, I can make the forum again, but I don't want to loose my topics!
My english isn't perfect, but I hope you understand it.
Thanks, and please help me.

kat

Do you have any mods still installed?

If not, simply upload all the files from the SMF installation package to your site, overwriting what's there. DO NOT OVERWRITE settings.php.

Lima123

Oh, Thank you!
But, before I do it, please answer me:
Is there a risk of loosing topics?

kat

By doing that, no. The posts are all stored in the database. Settings.php stores that information, which is why you mustn't overwrite that one.

Might be best not to overwrite Settings_bak.php, too.

Lima123

I did everything right, but I continue having the same error... "Unable to load the 'html_above' template."
Well...
I was thinking about do a new forum, everything new, but using the same database as the old. Will it function?

kat

Looks like one of the files that the mod installed is still there.

You replaced all the files via ftp, yes?

If you're using a custom theme, you'll still get that error, until you replace all the custom theme's files, too.

If everything works A-OK, with the SMF default theme, that'll be the proof that it's the custom theme that's causing the error.

greyknight17

Lima123, is this issue resolved now?

That's correct. Your database is the one with all the posts/topics. I recommend backing it up frequently.

Advertisement: