News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mod/Theme Site Question

Started by fords8, February 18, 2009, 08:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fords8

This topic is about Mod/Theme Site . I wonder if you guys have someone to just go through mods and themes just to look at the dates on them.

Maybe email the people that did the mod or theme that are old and ask if they plan on updating them. And ask if they plan on not updating them, if it was OK if someone took them over for them. If they have no plans on doing anything with them, maybe have a spot on the forums and ask if anyone wants to take them over. If no one does, toss them.

Of course some older mods and themes maybe useless now. Those could be tossed in the trash. Or whatever you want to do with them.

I am sure you get the idea. I think this will clean up your old mods and themes and clean up the site as a whole. Set up some time lines on them. Like anything over a year old or has not been touched for a year is subject to this.

Just a idea!

fords8

WOW! I thought alot of people would comment on this. Since I see alot of people in the mod section of the forums asking for updated mods.

If it is a case of no one wants to do this, I will be willing to take sometime to work on it. Since I don't have time for writing mods and themes, and really don't have the cash to donate, I could help SMF this way.

One of the big guys here at SMF can just PM me if they have any interest in this.

karlbenson

{thought I'd already commented on this}

I need to try to find some new authors for my old mods.

I agree we need a setting in the mod site area for mod authors to check to enable someone else to take it over.

fords8

regularexpression, what mods do you want someone to take over? Have you tryed to post something somewhere in the forums for people to take them over?

I think just having a area on the forums would be fine. Having some type of a form to follow for someone wanting to give up the mod they made. Of course you as the 1st maker, would get credit for starting the mod.

As stated in my first post, sending emails to others that have made mods and have not updated them. These people have either moved on to other things or just don't have the time for it. Most of them would allow for the mod they made to be updated by someone else. You will have a few that will not agree I am sure. Those mods will be trashed. Or whatever has to be done to them.

[SiNaN]

I remember regularexpression did, and I did too. There is also a general topic, which is in the SMF Coding Discussions sticky too, Mods seeking new developers.

Mod authors, who want someone else to take over their mods usually inform community about their mods being available for take over. Besides, you are always free to contact mod authors personally to take over the development.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

fords8

QuoteSMF Coding Discussions sticky

The last time that topic was posted in was December 06, 2007.

The whole idea of this is to bring to light that some of these older mods and themes are still wanted/needed. And it would be better for someone that has a SMF email to contact them. And maybe some of the makers will come back to update the mods and make new ones.

I think it is time to try something new with this and get the mods and themes updated. Or get them out of the list.

I thought I would get a bigger response to this topic.

H

There is a project to update the mod site, which will improve community collaboration.

However most mods currently available are for SMF 1.1.x and even when marked as compatible with only 1.1.1 (for example) they should still work on any 1.1.x release. I don't expect the majority of mod authors to update their mods for 2.0, until there is a stable release.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

fords8

Thanks H for taking the time to come in here and post.

I will say that 75% of the mods that are not updated to RC1 now, will not be updated at all to it. But only time will tell really.

I have not looked at all the mods of course. But I have done a few that would not install because the package manager says wrong version. I don't remember off the top of my head what they were. And no, I was not trying to install a mod into 2.0 that was made for 1.1.8 or older.

If you guys want any help with the mod site project, just toss me a PM. But I think my idea has something to it. And would help out abit in the end. Also, it gives me a way to give back to SMF too.

snork13

Quote from: H on February 27, 2009, 04:04:48 PM
There is a project to update the mod site, which will improve community collaboration.

However most mods currently available are for SMF 1.1.x and even when marked as compatible with only 1.1.1 (for example) they should still work on any 1.1.x release. I don't expect the majority of mod authors to update their mods for 2.0, until there is a stable release.

It think this hits it on the head, at least in my case. I updated some of my more requested mods for current versions of smf, and plan on updating the rest when 2.0 stable is released. Also, when time permits I try to improve on a mod while making it compatible will the current version.  I do think some sort of option like "no longer supported" or "please take me over"  :P would be a good idea and very easy to add to the mod site.

-snork13
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

Advertisement: