News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrader Show What Files it Can't Find

Started by David, November 20, 2003, 01:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

If the upgrade script can't find all the files it needs, it would be nice if it said which one it is missing.
This space for rent.

Acf

or/and witch files there permission are not set correctly.
Sigh...

[Unknown]

Quote from: </Acf> on November 20, 2003, 01:54:19 PM
or/and witch files there permission are not set correctly.

It tells you that.

The thing is, upgrade.php doesn't look for all the files.  It just does a cursory check for certain ones.  If it names those files, you'll upload them only and then be screwed.

-[Unknown]

David

Ehh, I still like for it to tell me.  Don't treat me like I am dumb.  So added in the CVS.
This space for rent.

[Unknown]

If I'm trying to install something, and I forgot to upload files.... and it tells me:

Hey, you forgot xxx.yy!!

I will do what?  I will upload xxx.yy.  Who cares that there are 50 other files I *also* forgot.  It obviously doesn't want them.

I guess I am stupid, David... because I have done exactly that before.

-[Unknown]

Gobalopper

Aren't there only 5 or so files that it checks? How hard is it to show which of those files it was?

David

Quote from: Gobalopper on November 27, 2003, 01:54:11 AM
Aren't there only 5 or so files that it checks? How hard is it to show which of those files it was?
That is exactly what I made it do.

Unknown, if I upload the package and somehow miss a needed file and it tells me, hey you're missing a file but I won't tell you what, then I will most likely not reupload the ENTIRE package.  Rather I will spend 15 minutes to figure out which file it is.  Now I don't have to.  I suppose if you are really worried you could add a diagnostic get variable and if it is not set then it shows the generic "you are dumb" message, if set then it actually tells you what is missing.

Why not just make it check every file?  If we are worried about everything not being uploaded then checking for five files, whether the user is told which is missing or not, won't help that.
This space for rent.

Advertisement: