Personal messages messed up

Started by agridoc, March 23, 2005, 08:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agridoc

I have made setup and tests for my SMF forum and announced it on March 20. It seemed to work properly.

I had complaints about personal messages.

- Other people' s messages are shown to others. This is very disturbing.
- I can' t delete my personal messages selectively but I can delete them all together. However, if someone sends me a personal message, I can see again most of the deleted and other people's personal messages too.
- I see that I have 2 messages in the message board and when I click it I see many more as described.

The error assosiated with posting and deletion of personal messages is:
8: Undefined index: pm_successfully_sent
File: .../ForumS/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 497

Any help?

For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

DJ_Max

This is usually a common php development mistake by not pass variables correctly, usually it goes without warning if you have the default PHP error reporting. This may or may not be the case, I'll look at that file.
You may also have E_STRICT/E_ALL setup in you php.ini
Languages || PHP, Java/JSP, Python
SQL || PostgreSQL, MySQL
OS || OS X, Linux
ToDO || Learn: Ruby & D.
http://ninbits.com [nofollow]

[Unknown]

SMF works fine, by default, with error_reporting set to E_ALL, DJ_Max.

Well, agridoc, can you please try uploading *CLEAN* versions of all the files from the upgrade package on the downloads page?  Just in case something went wrong?

And, are you using a translation of any sort?

-[Unknown]

agridoc

QuoteSMF works fine, by default, with error_reporting set to E_ALL, DJ_Max
I must apologize but I don' t know how to check or how to do the above.

You are suggesting to upload again the files. I will do it if needed but please explain first the above.

Yes I am using Greek translation which in fact is version 1.01 while I have upgraded to 1.02. I tried with forum and administrator default language set to English, with standard SMF default theme but the problem remains.

Some minor modifications are applied according to your instructions and corrected problems or expanded SMF. It is succesfully bridged with Coppermine Photo Gallery. Coppermine has some minor problems but I leave them.

I believe that, as in most cases. it is a server incompatibility problem.

The forum otherwise works fine the only problem is in personal messages. Some minor problems may exist that are not yet obvious but this is not uncommon.

Thanks again for the excellent support so far.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod

[Unknown]

Quote from: agridoc on March 24, 2005, 04:26:53 AM
QuoteSMF works fine, by default, with error_reporting set to E_ALL, DJ_Max
I must apologize but I don' t know how to check or how to do the above.

Ignore it, I was telling DJ_Max that what he had said was probably not the issue.

I think the problems with Coppermine probably have nothing to do with these.  But, I'm guessing uploading clean files will help - try it.

-[Unknown]

agridoc

I must apologize for not trying your suggestion of uploading clean files for quite a few days.

I was quite busy with explaining to members coming from my old forum in Yahoo! the differences and benefits of SMF.

I had put the forum  to maintenance mode, uploaded clean files (including the 1.02 Greek version) even run upgrade but the problem remains.

I get the error
Quote8: Undefined index: pm_successfully_sent
File: .../ForumS/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 497
when I send a personal message.

Looking back in errors I saw that the problem starts from the beginning of the forum operation.

The problem is that when someone gets a personal message is shown ALL the personal messages. Selective message deletion does' t work even for the administrator. By selecting "Delete all" a member cannot see messages but only the messages sent to him are deleted.

The "smf_messages" database shows the error
QuoteUNIQUE and INDEX keys should not both be set for column `ID_TOPIC`
More than one INDEX key was created for column `ID_MEMBER

when viewed with PHPMyAdmin provided by the server.

I had done some modifications according to your instructions given for custom profile fields using the form 'profile_real_xxx' for fields. I had put off this mod when I tested.

I plan some more mods but I want first to solve this problem and upgrade so I will not have to do them again.

Can I upgrade to 1.03 to see if the problem will be fixed (the current Greek version is 1.02) or should I wait?

Any other suggestion?

agridoc

Updated to 1.03, the error message continues to report but at a first glance the problem seems to be solved in practice.

Not tested well yet.

agridoc

Almost one week passed and  I think PMs work OK although error message are written in the error log.

I think your opinion would be necessary before proceeding to the modifications I have in mind.

I run my SMF forum with language default set to Greek (ISO-8859-7). I want to have a multilingual forum but I can' t use UTF-8 as it is not widely accepted in Greece. I want to have also English language at least, with the options of French, German and Italian. I have dowloaded the appropriate files and they work OK BUT the Greek messages don' t show correctly.

Of course someone can change the codepage from the browser but this must be done after each screen change.

I want visitors and members to use the menu and help in the language they know better but also be able to read the Greek messages. Quite a few Greeks living in another country and also foreigners living in Greece would benefit from this. They can read messages in Greek but they would prefer the menus in another language.

To overcome this from the first installation I changed in index.english.php ISO-8859-1 to ISO-8859-7 (Greek) in
$txt['lang_character_set'] = 'ISO-8859-1';
and I had English menus and good wiewing and writing of messages in Greek.

I know that multilingual is not a general question but my question is:

Is it possible this modification to be the cause for the described problem with personal messages or cause other problems? I know that some characters would not

I think not as the upload of original clean files from 1.02 didn' t cure the problem but the upgrade to 1.03 did. However I need a confirmation as the problem with PMs was really annoying.

Regards

agridoc

P.S. By the way the Coppermine problem, as well as a similar problem with browser hanging in SMF in avatar upload, if the file is near 100 Kb, seems to be a server - GD prolem. I am in contact with my server  for the solution.

agridoc

I would be grateful if you reply to my question.
My forum' s address is
http://www.aeromodelling.gr/ForumS/

It' s bridged with Coppermine Photo Gallery and I have done some minor modifications for multilingual support.

Altough the default language is Greek you can choose among five languages by pressing the appropriate flag.

I don' t dare yet to change the codepage for the other languages to Greek so the greek messages would show correctly as well. I need your opinion if that could mess up the forum' s PMs.

[Unknown]

Changing the character set should theoretically work.  I really can't say whether it would for sure.

-[Unknown]

agridoc

As it tool long for a reply I decided to go on.

My forum works this way quite a few days now. It worked in the past with version 1.01, as well as with PHBB that I had run before deciding to go on with SMF. It' s a bonna fide solution, PMs were the problem.

In fact all language files are set to "Windows-1253". Special characters in French and German are a problem.

PM messages don' t seem to be affected (they shouldn't in theory but wou never know with code, especially when non standard characters are involved).

Advertisement: