News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Advanced Profile Theme

Started by NoRad, March 29, 2005, 02:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRad

Ok, several people have gotten on me about requesting the Community Builder for Mambo to work with SMF. They say that SMF's profile template can be modified to do all of the same stuff. I completely agree, but I don't think it will be easy.

Let's actually do it here. Everybody pitch in and we can make a nice custom profile theme.

I am including my slightly modified profile template page as a start. It's essentially the standard SMF theme with several extra options, a gallery link (to coppermine), and that's about it.

I'd like to start by making a tabbed interface at the top of the profile table.

Our tabs could be:

1. Basic Profile
2. Photos (Yeah, let's work on getting 4 user photos + 1 thumbnail)
3. Buddies (buddy list)
4. BLOG ???
5. Vouchers (user comments, like a guestbook)

Each tab would dynamically change the window content. Can we do this?

Also, on the basic profile, I'd like some drop down items that allow responses to bigger text fields.

Here is a link to my profile on a local community website that has a very nice profile page (but it's a bit busy).

http://www.louisvillemojo.com/hotties/detailview.cfm?mmid=5665

3guk

So it has to have the same fields as community builder or does it have to integrate and use the fields ?

Personally I think it would be better if we were to make the theme with teh extra fields and not have community builder integration as after all it would be doing the same thing as what community builder is.

It would cut dont on the amount of coding as you would only have to get it to work on smf rather than anything else.

If i have misunderstood then let me apologise but if I have read right you just want to create a theme that utilises extra profile fields ?

NoRad

Yeah, community builder had some nice options, but you're right. We don't need Community Builder just for the profile stuff. We can do this with SMF, but nobody has really stepped up to the plate to help develop such a theme.

I've provided my modified profile template with several extra fields as a starter, and a link to a page with all kinds of good profile stuff. I'd like to make a profile that's like Community Builder (and/or like the profile page I referenced). Then I'd like to break it down into tabs if possible to make it easier to read/view.

NoRad

Note - this will probably need to use 2 or 3 mods in addition to a profile template to really work. I like the buddylist mod, but it needs some serious work. There was also a blog mod or something floating around that would be nice.

3guk

anywhere i can see this community builder running just to get a feel for what you are trying to achive.

I have heard of it before but never looked into it

NoRad

Sure!

FYI: I'm getting this error (along with the other custom profile fields) on my profile page. Just now noticed:
Quote8: Undefined index: text_books
File: I:\louipimps\forum\Themes\louipimpsfixed\Profile.template.php
Line: 1441

Here is the Community Builder example site:
http://acatexperience.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=70

NoRad

Hmmm anybody else interested in this?

ViV

Plz add a zodiac sign drop list in profile too... where member select their zodiac from their profile..and it displays a piccy in thier posts..just like gender thingy.

NoRad

No need for a zodiac drop down. Why not calculate it from their birthdate?

bloc

I did a calculation on my board..but ended up giving users the option instead, because many put in fake dates, and got wrong zodiac signs.. ::)

NoRad

And it didn't encourage them to put in their real birthdate after that?

bloc

No, they actually did not want to display the real month/day, but wanted to show how old they were...(...)

So now the zodiac is available, even if birthdate is all wrong/empty. Most members don't fake the zodiac I reckon...not for any obvious reason at least.

NoRad

Hmmm I don't display birthdates on my site (to my knowledge), but it's there for registration purposes (age verification or whatever). I think a Zodiac Dropdown would be nice. Maybe even have a secondary dropdown if they select the Zodiac that they can use to enter their ascendant.

bloc

:) Yeah, i explained on a couple of occasions about the ascendant, descendant and MC..but in vain. But the biorhythms was a big hit. I actually got a lot more to enter their real birthdate then - just so the curves became accurate.

NoRad

Exciting. I need to know how to add some of the more complex things to the profile as described above. I can add a ton of dropdowns and text boxes without any trouble (well, not too much at least).

I want to really spice up the profile like Community Builder.

bloc

Hm. I looked at your example there in the first post. Interesting page. :)

As I see it, the photos option could be easy, just textfields for the image links , showing the images on the overview page. Uploading pictures is probably out. All the other things with text is also, as you mention - easy enough. Adding comments on the page. Hm. That needs some thinking...it might not be as straightforward.

Tabs that change dynamically could be done, all the info is there, just using dhtml to change/hide sections.

Same with guestbook/blog as with comments..how to input it for other users. All the variables get stored in the themes table, where each has the members id, and theme id. Meaning they are always loaded according to the theme AND the member. So to have other members input something there might be difficult...

If you are interested in biorhytms, that probably could be done. I use it on the frontpage myself, but its perhaps better just on the profile page. Question is if all are to see it, or just yourself.

Buddy list..if its just links to pictures and members, it can be done. How to present it would do all the difference I think.

(..noticed you're a Gemini on your page , might mention I am Libra myself. ;) )

NoRad

Yeah, I'm a gemini through and through according to my natal chart.

Well, I've run into this problem with the themes concept before (storing more than 1 image, and an opt-in buddylist).

Right now, the buddylist that grudge did is working fine on my site, but nobody uses it because it doesn't really add any functionality that they are currently aware of, for example:

1. It's not easy to see where you add people to your buddy list.
2. You can add anybody, but as the system grows you should have to authorize people to be on your list, otherwise they could fool people into thinking they are friends with you. This is not good if you can imagine a situation involving a guy trying to pick up girls on the site and luring them out under false pretenses.
3. The buddylist should be a tab on the profile so that you can click a buddylist link somewhere in the site and go directly there to see which of your buddies are currently only and easily send them a private message to say HI or whatever.

I think the tabs idea could work a lot like the upshrink on the default SMF theme?

Is there an easy way to give a user like 10 blog entries on their profile page? As they add a new one after the 10th it archives or deletes the oldest entry? Same for the guestbook concept

For the photos... I currently use coppermine. If I can integrate the two a little more then my problem is solved. Just use that?

mennou

i am using  mkportal how can i change the coppermine to mkportal  image....

taucher

are there any news of the advanced profile theme?
if i could write php i would help you but the only thing i can is <?php and ?>  :-\

shadowteller

I have made some good head way using this article and the tutorial putout by [Brackets].  My only question is how do you setup checkbox lists.  Right now I get checkbox lists and when one is selected they all select and stay selected.

Advertisement: