News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrade issues (from 1.1.9 to 2.0 RC1-1)

Started by Norv, July 10, 2009, 02:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

On a 1.1.9 local installation (with a few mods, and the default theme directory wrong) I copied over the 2.0 RC1-1 large upgrade package. I set the NoScript Firefox extension to disallow 127.0.0.1 and ran upgrade.php.
I was actually wondering whether some errors people get while upgrading may have something to do with executing javascript scripts, and generally to test an upgrade under certain not too good conditions.
Here are some of the issues that I got instead:
QuoteThe upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, english. Please make certain you uploaded the new versions for the default theme.
SKIP. Try english.
I had copied all files from the package.
I found in upgrade.php:

if (empty($match[1]) || $match[1] != SMF_LANG_VERSION)
return throw_error('The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, ' . $upcontext['language'] . '.<br /><br />Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[<a href="' . $upgradeurl . '?skiplang">SKIP</a>] [<a href="' . $upgradeurl . '?lang=english">Try English</a>]');

and inserted before:

echo '<br> Language file version: ' . $match[1] . '<br> Current version: ' . SMF_LANG_VERSION . '<br>';

Result:
Language file version: 2.0 RC1
Current version: 2.0 RC1-1
Indeed, Themes/default/languages/index.english.php says 2.0 RC1.

2. During database changes:
Changing visual verification setting.
!!
Error!
Unknown Error!
Unsuccessful!
This query:

UPDATE smf_settings
    SET variable = 'visual_verification_type'
    AND value = 1
    WHERE variable = 'disable_visual_verification';

Caused the error:

Truncated incorrect DOUBLE value: 'visual_verification_type'

Now, this query doesn't look right. It should be:

UPDATE smf_settings
SET variable = 'visual_verification_type', value = 1
WHERE variable = 'disable_visual_verification';

There are two options "Try again" and "Continue".
"Try again" attempts the query again and fails. "Continue" doesn't seem to have any effect.
==> This is blocking my upgrade process.

I manually corrected the query and continued. Now it was happy and eventually finished the upgrade.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Norv

One more note: I used debug setting on. I wonder if it displayed the query and the MySQL error after "unknown error" because I had debug setting on... (we had issues at support when all it said is "unknown error", heh)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

karlbenson

I have fixed 2). in our svn for RC2 when it is released.

1) seems to be a bug.
But it could be our fault. I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for reporting both,

Norv

In at least in all three .zip packages smf_2-0-rc1-1_install.zip, smf_2-0-rc1-1_upgrade.zip and smf_2-0-rc1-1_update.zip for 2.0 RC1-1, the file Themes/default/languages/index.english.php  starts with:

<?php
// Version: 2.0 RC1; index

which version the upgrade script compares with '2.0 RC1-1'.

karlbenson

Yeah.
We only change the versioning at the top of a file though when we make a change in that file.
Since there were no changes in index.english.php we didn't change the version info.

Advertisement: