[FREE] OpenID Server Mod

Started by ExcalibursZone, December 29, 2009, 09:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcalibursZone

Version: SMF V2+

Description:
An OpenID provider built using SMF to allow members of the forum to authenticate to version 2 (or 1) of the OpenID standard.

Permissions
Administrators should be able to enable or disable the server and to allow or disallow any member in the forums to use the forum as an authentication provider. Users must use the built-in account information of SMF and not authenticate via OpenID.

Feature Set:

• Support the OpenID 2 standard which includes backward compatibility to OpenID 1.
  • Administrator option to enable or disable the OpenID server.
  • Administrator option to support either OpenID 2 or OpenID 1.
  • Permission flags for forum members to allow or disallow the use of the forum as an authentication service for OpenID consumers.
  • OpenIDs should be clearly defined as such, for example: hxxp://www.example.com/smf/id/membername or hxxp://www.example.com/smf/?openid=membername

Additional Fluff:
First, sorry for not putting this in the proper format to begin with, I have modified the message to do so.

Second, OpenID provider functionality has NOTHING to do with the OpenID consumer feature already present in SMF 2. Providing OpenID authentication is mutually exclusive from consuming OpenID.

The first part of what I'm requesting is a server to provide a login and profile page for a member which SMF does very well as it is. The second part of this request is to also provide OpenID 2 compliant authentication so that when someone goes to an OpenID-enabled consumer site (allows OpenID logins) they can enter hxxp://www.example.com/smf/?openid=membername. In my case, if simplemachines.org's installation had this mod, my OpenID for here would be: hxxp://www.simplemachines.org/community/?openid=excaliburszone.

Anyway, since 2.0 is feature locked, I thought I'd go ahead and do a re-post of my feature request here in case anyone was interested in building this mod for SMF.

We have OpenID consumption in SMF 2 currently, but I think it would be a great idea to add an OpenID server as well. There are a few OpenID 1 servers out there that are written in PHP. I think it wouldn't take much to convert them to use with SMF using SSI.php. Here's one package and here's another.

I would work on this myself but school, work, and family leave me with very little time to work on anything but homework and it's very rare for me to get even THAT done on time...

Arantor

As per your topic in Feature Requests, you'd probably be best not pursuing this as a Mod Request. Given that OpenID support in 2.0 is still not as solid as perhaps it could be (since it doesn't handle OpenID 1.1 yet), this is not something I would expect to see as a mod to be honest.

I also suspect there are far too few modders here with the necessary skills to implement this, but that just my personal opinion.

In any case, please ensure READ ME: How To Request A Modification (Mod) is complied with.

Advertisement: