Server may be busy error..SMF can not connect to database...

Started by yankeestonk, January 05, 2010, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeestonk

Hi,
I've written about this issue before, Godaddy said they resolved the issue but now it's back with avengence. My question is, if the forum runs fine for hours, then suddenly is VERY slow (12-18 seconds to change page or connect for example), and even get a "page can not be displayed" or "SMF can not connect to the database, server may be busy" error, is it still possible the problem is with my forum and not the server?

This is the URL to the forum, which right this second is blazing fast, but 10 minutes ago wouldn't connect at all. http://golftipsforum.isuckatgolf.net/index.php

this has been happening on and off for a few weeks.

Godaddy.com said they are checking the server to see if another site is using too much bandwidth, and if they find one they'll move them. If not I'll have to back up my database and scripts and move to another server. The forum usually has like 10 or so guest every 1/2 hour. So it's not huge.

Is there a clear cache or dump type maintenance I'm supposed to do outside of the normal maintenance within the site? What I think I'm getting is them telling me to try a bunch of different things when the problem is an overloaded server. It's a sub-domain of my main site, which is running fine. But the forum is on a seperate shared linyx server.

Any advice would be helpful. They suggested at one point today that I switch to a new free SMF forum of "theirs", and transfer everything on mine to it and that "MAY" solve the issue.

HELP!

青山 素子

Running so spottily usually indicates an overloaded server, especially if it happens consistently at the same time every day. If you search, you'll find a lot of people have had this problem using GoDaddy shared hosting. They tend to pack their shared servers very tightly, so one or two sites that get a bit busy will have a huge impact on everyone else on that server. The general solution is to find a better website host.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

yankeestonk

Hi, Thanks for the response..

I really think you're right. It doesn't really happen at any particular time that I've noticed though, it can be anytime really.

Can you answer one specific question though? Godaddy tech have mentioned on several occassions the roat answer (god I know I slaughtered that spelling!) that there may be a scripting issue in the site, or a database problem etc. So their fallback position is to say their is nothing wrong on the server side and that I should look into SMF help to find out what is wrong with my forum. They even suggested that I delete this one and upload a whole new one...from scratch! Or if I continue to have problems they can help me move the site to a new server but I'll have to back up all the data bases and scripts...all of which I have no idea how to do...

Sooooo, my questions is (finally) If the problem was something to do with my forum, could the forum run normally for hours and days, then suddenly not connect or run extremly slow. Then 20 minutes later run fine again? I mean, isn't it an all or nothing kind of thing if the forum has an issue?

It seems like the variable here is the server and not my site. My site is pretty constant and runs fine most of the time.

THanks again,
Ken

Something like that

Rote :)

And yes, that sounds very much like an overloaded server. And yes, the symptoms will come and go over time periods like that.

I would make a post in the Hosting Requests forum and a host knowledgeable with SMF will help you out :)

yankeestonk

Thanks Mark,
You look nothing like I pictured you BTW ;0)

It would be a huge hassle to move to a new host. Huge! I have the main site, this forum on two different servers, the shopping cart with them, probably 40 e-mail addresses with links throughout the site, the e-mail marketing, etc. etc. I don't know if I'm up for moving and re-doing all that.
But thanks for your opinion on what the problem is. I agree but wanted to hear it from someone who actually knows what they're talking about! So thanks again!

KEn

Something like that

You should be able to transfer your domain over. You don't have to change that. Your new host can help you there.

Moving the sites does take some work, I'll admit.

And that's not me in my avatar... I just like beautiful woman haha

yankeestonk

Hey Mark,

I knew it wasn't you! I was just kidding. THanks again.

Ken

Advertisement: