1.1.11 upgrade done, message board is down now!!

Started by hazyredeyes, July 26, 2010, 01:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazyredeyes

New to the board, so i should say hello!

I upgraded our board today to 1.1.11. All went well and worked fine.

Once i tried to edit the HTML to update a banner we had in the upper portion of the page, the board tanked on me!

I do not know what to do, no one can log in,and if you try to access the message board, it shows this:
http: //torc4x4.org/index.php?action=forum [nofollow]

The home page is
http: //www.torc4x4.org [nofollow]

What can I do? I cannot access the admin section to re-edit the HTML.

Im lost and need help please.

gbsothere

Hello and welcome to SMF!

Can you use ftp to access the file and remove your edits, then reupload it?

I'm sure you know what ftp is, but in case not:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=480.0

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

hazyredeyes

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 01:26:45 PM
Hello and welcome to SMF!

Can you use ftp to access the file and remove your edits, then reupload it?

I'm sure you know what ftp is, but in case not:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=480.0

:)

Im a newb and completely green around the gill with this. Our web site guy moved on a drop of a dime and left it to me... LOL!

I will try and see, buti am unsure what im doing.

gbsothere

If you use a PC (Windows) hazyredeyes, then have a look at this ftp application:

Filezilla

You use it to log into your domain with your username and password.  (If you're unsure of what your ftp log in details are, you can get this information from your server.)  Then open your public folder and find your forum folder.  Inside that, either in Sources or your theme's folder, you will find the file you edited.  Just remove your edits and reupload and see if this sorts it.   :)

If you don't have a lot of mods, then simply overwriting the file with a new one from your SMF zip should fix things but you'll have to replace any edits that your mods place in that particular file.
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

hazyredeyes

I am 100% confused!!

I cannot get access through filezilla, but i can access goddaddy's FTP client (our host). Once i move the file from the website to my computer, i cannot open the .php file to edit it.

Am i missing something?

gbsothere

You need a text editor like this one:

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Then open the file and return your previous edit to what it was before you modified the file and upload it. 

If you need further help, attach the file here (when you reply, click Additional Options, browse to it and attach) and tell me what your edit was and I'll take a look at it. 

cicka

I can load your forum fine now. Did you resolve the problem?

hazyredeyes

Quote from: cicka on July 26, 2010, 02:35:17 PM

Nope. The homepage loads, but anything that is clicked on, should show the error. I cannot get to the message boards, or even sign in the forum.

cicka

Quote from: hazyredeyes on July 26, 2010, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: cicka on July 26, 2010, 02:35:17 PM

Nope. The homepage loads, but anything that is clicked on, should show the error. I cannot get to the message boards, or even sign in the forum.

I clicked at some random threads and I did not see any error. They all loaded fine. What is the error you are getting? Can you please post a screenshot?

gbsothere

I'm clicking all over it, forum, threads, etc., with no errors.  It looks fine.  Empty your browser's cache and try again (or even reboot) and see if that helps.  (Or try a different browser).

hazyredeyes

After restarting the computer and clearing the history and cache, i can view the message boards. However,once i try to sign in i get the attached screenshot.

After i have attempted to sign in, anything clicked on brings up the same attached screenshot.

Everyone that is a member has the same issue, the same thing happens on my blackberry, and on the laptop using both IE and Chrome.

gbsothere

It seems to be related to Tiny Portal.   :-\

Have you tried reuploading fresh Tiny Portal files? 

You may want to ask Bloc about this here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=27642.0

The upgrade may have affected it.   I suspect its edits need to be re-added to the SMF files.

hazyredeyes

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 03:34:21 PM
It seems to be related to Tiny Portal.   :-\

Have you tried reuploading fresh Tiny Portal files? 

The upgrade may have affected it.   I suspect the edits need to be re-added to the files.

IDK whats going on.I thinks im in over my head! LOL!!

I will post over there and wee what comes of it.

gbsothere

Quote from: hazyredeyes on July 26, 2010, 03:40:55 PM
IDK whats going on.I thinks im in over my head! LOL!!

I will post over there and wee what comes of it.

The thing is, hazyredeyes, that when you upgraded, it overwrote a lot of SMF files.  I can see some of the files that Tiny Portal parses and I know those would have been overwritten.  I can help with that, if you're a bit nervous but, since you can upload files and have a text editor, if you go to the mod's page here:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=97

and click Parse (make sure the pulldown is 1.1.11) you will see the manual instructions for the mod's edits. 

EDIT: 

There are quite a lot of edits, so, if you feel in over your head and want to PM me your ftp log in details, I will edit the files and reupload them for you. 

Before you do, take a look at this link.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=87130.msg575795#msg575795

hazyredeyes

gbsothere

Quote from: hazyredeyes on July 26, 2010, 03:57:26 PM
PM sent!!

Thanks a ton!!

I'll see what I can do and let you know in just a bit.   :)

hazyredeyes

Great job!all is working again.

So what exactly did you do, or more importantly, what is it that i did wrong?

Now.... about those custom layouts..... what say you? I would like for users to have access to about 5-7 different themes.

gbsothere

Quote from: hazyredeyes on July 26, 2010, 04:57:16 PM

Now.... about those custom layouts..... what say you? I would like for users to have access to about 5-7 different themes.

I just put ?theme=1 at the end of your forum's url so:  index.php?theme=1  and it brought me back to the default theme so that I could access your forum maintenance area and do some repairs. 

As long as you're in default, you're okay, so let me confess that I did go to Current Theme and reset everyone back to default.  I think that custom theme you were using is where the big glitch is.  Whatever the edit is that you made, I'm sure that template is the culprit. 

If you're going to have a lot of custom themes, you're going to have to make sure that each and every theme has your Portal's edits (and any other mods you want made available to your user).  It's a bit tiresome to make all those edits across the board so, until you become used to doing that, you may want to relax with default, while you practice a bit and only make the custom theme available to you (through your profile's Look And Layout link) until you're satisfied the theme is behaving. ;)

hazyredeyes

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 05:03:18 PM
Quote from: hazyredeyes on July 26, 2010, 04:57:16 PM

I just put ?theme=1 at the end of your forum's url so:  index.php?theme=1  and it brought me back to the default theme so that I could access your forum maintenance area and do some repairs. 

As long as you're in default, you're okay, so let me confess that I did go to Current Theme and reset everyone back to default.  I think that custom theme you were using is where the big glitch is.  Whatever the edit is that you made, I'm sure that template is the culprit. 

If you're going to have a lot of custom themes, you're going to have to make sure that each and every theme has your Portal's edits (and any other mods you want made available to your user).  It's a bit tiresome to make all those edits across the board so, until you become used to doing that, you may want to relax with default, while you practice a bit and only make the custom theme available to you (through your profile's Look And Layout link) until you're satisfied the theme is behaving. ;)

The old keep it simple method. I can understand that!!

gbsothere

Quote from: hazyredeyes on July 26, 2010, 05:10:12 PM
The old keep it simple method. I can understand that!!

Well, Default can actually be tweaked, itself, to look quite nice.  I PMd you a few comments about that.  I'll mark this solved for you, hazyredeyes, but feel free to reopen it, if the issue returns.   :)

Advertisement: