News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Changing membergroup to multiple members

Started by Robin Hood, August 06, 2010, 06:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Hood

I hope there is DB query or something that can save me few hours of manual changing membergroup.

I converted phpbb3 to smf, and all custom groups are assigned as secondary.

Biggest membergroup have 200+ members, all of them have that group as secondary, so, can it be changed to primary without editing every single profile manually?

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I think it is possible if you edit the database.

xenovanis

Hi Robin Hood,

Run this query in phpMyAdmin

UPDATE `smf_members` SET `id_group` = 'primary_id',
`additional_groups` = '' WHERE `additional_groups` = add_id;

where 'primary_id' is the id_number of the group they should be added to and 'add_id' the id_number of the additional group they are currently in.

Backup before you proceed!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Robin Hood

They are currently in groups by posts. Can I somehow select all of them?

And thanks for answer.  :)

xenovanis

Now I'm confused. Postcount based groups cannot be set to additional groups.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Robin Hood

Default groups are now postbased groups. I want custom groups to be default, which are now secondary. I'm asking can I select all postbased groups for "add_id", so I don't need to run ~10 queries.

Or you thought I make new custom group and use it's number as "primary_id", and delete old custom group after that.

I hope it's not confusing now. :)

xenovanis

No, only my head spins.  ???

Postcount based groups are default. By default, every new member is added to the first postcount based group. For your forum to function, you'll need at least one postcount based group.

Primary group is the first, visible custom group.

Additional groups are secondary invisible groups.

Can you give an example of what it is you want?

Robin Hood

Let say that custom group is named as "custom group" (real group id is 25), and postcount groups are "postcount group 1", "postcoun gruop 2", etc (8 of them, real group numbers 12-18, adn 4, for members in question, one of those postc. group is defaul). So, I want to all members that have primary one of those potc. groups as default, and group 25 as secondary, to have group 25 as primary.

So maybe to make new custom group named same as "custom group" with id 25, and do a query to transfer all of those who have group id 25 as secondary to that new group, which will now be primary, and then delete "old" group with id 25? :)

I did my best to be as clear as possible.  O:)

Update: After setting add_id to 25 and primary_id to 30, about 40% of members are transferred. After setting add_id to all 4, 12, 13... 18, (postcount groups), I just emptied those who stayed in gropup 25. I had backup of course.

Where can be problem?

xenovanis

Honestly, I have read this post over for 10 times and I still don't understand what it is you want. I'm sorry.  :-\

I'll have a look again tomorrow, I'm probably to tired now.

There is no use in using that query, since it's only moving members from an additional group to a primary group and, for what I understand, you want to move members from a postcount based group to a primary group.

There is no way of moving people out of a postcount based group. If they aren't in a postcount based group, you'll get tremendous problems with your permissionsystem. You can only add them to a primary or additional group.

Sorry, can't be of more help now  :(

Robin Hood

Quote from: xenovanis on August 06, 2010, 10:05:52 PMfor what I understand, you want to move members from a postcount based group to a primary group.

All members of my forum are in postcount groups, members in question are in same time in potcount group, and specific non post related group (id 25). All of those mentioned have postc. group as primary, and this nonpost based group as secondary. I just want to make all of those to have this nonpostbased group as primary, to have it under nickname in posts and so...

English is not my primary language. Never mind if still confusing. Thanks for your time anyway. I appreciate that.  ;)

xenovanis

Okay, let's try this:
Admin -> Configuration -> Current Theme -> Hide post group titles for grouped members: check

Does that cover at least some of what you are trying to do?

live627

I think I see what you wanna do. So you want all members with post count groups to be assigned the group ID of 25?

Deaks

Robin Hood, do you still require assistance, if so can you please update us on the status of this support request, I have marked this as solved until you notify us further :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: