News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

gCalSync

Started by kriation, August 10, 2010, 03:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kriation

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 25, 2010, 12:19:51 AM
its not showing on the default theme either.
Can you send/post your ManageCalendar.template.php?

VegaTheChosen

the script was already in my calender.template i replaced the script with the one you posted but its still not showing.
here's the script

pftq

For those who don't have the tab showing in Admin, what you want to do is navigate to your theme's language/Modifications.english.php file, as that's where the text is contained (the text is missing, making the tab blank).

At the bottom of the file, paste the following from the mod:
// gCalSync Error Messages
$txt['gCalE1'] = 'Could not connect to the Google Calendar service!';
$txt['gCalE2'] = 'Could not establish a Google Calendar object!';
$txt['gCalE3'] = 'Could not use Google Calendar object for insert!';
$txt['gCalE4'] = 'Could not use Google Calendar object for insert!';
$txt['gCalE5'] = 'Result returned more than one row?!?!';
$txt['gCalE6'] = 'Query failed during remove!';
$txt['gCalE7'] = 'gUser and/or gPass have not been set!';

// gCalSync Static Fields
$txt['gCalS1'] = 'gCalSync Settings';
$txt['gCalS2'] = 'Modify gCalSync Settings';
$txt['gCalS3'] = 'Google Calendar Username';
$txt['gCalS4'] = 'Google Calendar Password';

@kriaton: Is there a way for the mod to cycle through events that were created before the plugin was installed? Right now, it only pushes events that are created after installation.

VegaTheChosen

got it, it had to be added to the modifications.english-utf8.php thanks for the help, and I'd also second a request for it to fetch events in que prior to installation.

kriation

Quote from: pftq on August 25, 2010, 03:16:58 AM
For those who don't have the tab showing in Admin, what you want to do is navigate to your theme's language/Modifications.english.php file, as that's where the text is contained (the text is missing, making the tab blank).

At the bottom of the file, paste the following from the mod:
// gCalSync Error Messages
$txt['gCalE1'] = 'Could not connect to the Google Calendar service!';
$txt['gCalE2'] = 'Could not establish a Google Calendar object!';
$txt['gCalE3'] = 'Could not use Google Calendar object for insert!';
$txt['gCalE4'] = 'Could not use Google Calendar object for insert!';
$txt['gCalE5'] = 'Result returned more than one row?!?!';
$txt['gCalE6'] = 'Query failed during remove!';
$txt['gCalE7'] = 'gUser and/or gPass have not been set!';

// gCalSync Static Fields
$txt['gCalS1'] = 'gCalSync Settings';
$txt['gCalS2'] = 'Modify gCalSync Settings';
$txt['gCalS3'] = 'Google Calendar Username';
$txt['gCalS4'] = 'Google Calendar Password';

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 25, 2010, 03:29:46 AM
got it, it had to be added to the modifications.english-utf8.php thanks for the help
Thanks for this pftq! I would've never caught that. I'm going to add the utf8 modification in the next version release.

Quote from: pftq on August 25, 2010, 03:16:58 AM
@kriaton: Is there a way for the mod to cycle through events that were created before the plugin was installed? Right now, it only pushes events that are created after installation.
Quote from: VegaTheChosen link=topic=395143.msg2759363#msg2759363   date=1282721386and I'd also second a request for it to fetch events in que prior to   installation.
I actually have a manual script for testing purposes to do exactly this, and so I'll design a way to use it as an option within the package.

Thanks for everyone that's tested this mod so far!

KensonPlays

Just now noticed it isn't for SMF 2.0RC3, I won't be able to use!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

kriation

Quote from: Kcmartz on August 27, 2010, 04:48:56 PM
Just now noticed it isn't for SMF 2.0RC3, I won't be able to use!
Once SMF 2.0 gets released, I'll work on porting it over. I've been burned by release candidates in the past, and so I'd rather wait.

KensonPlays

Ok. RC3 is stable enough though. But I have no control over your actions. I will wait.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

VegaTheChosen

I had a question about this mod, My GCal is also synced to my joomla site for events, it works great in the forum exporting to my gmail accoun wonderfully but,,, now here's the kicker, Ive created a specific calender for my website in my gmail specifically for my website, is it possible to connect this calender (that is not my gmail name) to smf? so any event that someone posts in the forum calender will go there instead of my gmail name? this will cut work for me to do. If its able to do that whatevers posted in smf goes to gmail and then to joomla everything can be done in smf which is convenient.  It beats going back into gcal and duplicating the event to my calender and then erasing it from my gmail name calender.

Dramber

QuoteI actually have a manual script for testing purposes to do exactly this, and so I'll design a way to use it as an option within the package.
I'm looking forward to this as well. :)

Great mod!!!

kriation

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 29, 2010, 03:57:52 PM
I had a question about this mod, My GCal is also synced to my joomla site for events, it works great in the forum exporting to my gmail accoun wonderfully but,,, now here's the kicker, Ive created a specific calender for my website in my gmail specifically for my website, is it possible to connect this calender (that is not my gmail name) to smf? so any event that someone posts in the forum calender will go there instead of my gmail name? this will cut work for me to do. If its able to do that whatevers posted in smf goes to gmail and then to joomla everything can be done in smf which is convenient.  It beats going back into gcal and duplicating the event to my calender and then erasing it from my gmail name calender.
Hi Vega-I'm working on this feature right now! :) I'm including a drop-down in the administration page to select the Google Calendar associated with the account. As long as I can be as productive as I'd like to be in my free time, I should have the next release with this feature out by the end of the week. I'll post an update once it's out.

VegaTheChosen

outstanding this is a really great mod, will it also import from Gcal? Will this also be backwards capable? Meaning if post in Gcal will the event go to SMF? I like where your going with the mod really awesome work.

kriation

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 29, 2010, 07:04:28 PM
outstanding this is a really great mod, will it also import from Gcal? Will this also be backwards capable? Meaning if post in Gcal will the event go to SMF? I like where your going with the mod really awesome work.
Thank you! I've tried really hard to make it useful.
I've never really had the need to import entries from the Google Calendar and sync back to SMF. The mod was really designed for members of SMF boards to be able to sync to a calendar feed on their own calendars, and that's why I used Google Calendar.

If enough people ask for it though, I might consider it. Right now, I'm working on three 'features' in parallel, so my plate is definitely full.

KensonPlays

i agree with vegathechosen! and smf 2.0 is when I will be able to use it!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

mikeymx5

smf 2.0 would be great but reverse sync just wouldn't be a good idea. You cold get into trouble with people reverse syncing all the crap in everyone's calendars.

MrBiggz

Quote from: kriation on August 29, 2010, 09:22:17 PM
I've never really had the need to import entries from the Google Calendar and sync back to SMF. The mod was really designed for members of SMF boards to be able to sync to a calendar feed on their own calendars, and that's why I used Google Calendar.

If enough people ask for it though, I might consider it. Right now, I'm working on three 'features' in parallel, so my plate is definitely full.

I asked this same question in another topic, I got pointed here.  Syncing back would be great!!  As I'm starting a new board myself and would like to populate the calendar without having to make post after post.  Then again there's pluses and minuses to that too!

Quote from: mikeymx5 on September 08, 2010, 06:20:09 PM
smf 2.0 would be great but reverse sync just wouldn't be a good idea. You cold get into trouble with people reverse syncing all the crap in everyone's calendars.

You can share a google calendar and make it read-only on the share (I do with my wife cause she has a tendency to delete stuff  :o).

So you would have a 'forum calendar' that you would update with events.  But you the owner should be able to change/modify the calendar in google and the forum calendar pick it up without having to post in the forum.  The outside world really has no need to be shared with the calendar through google.

None the less .. still a great mod!

kriation

Hey Folks - I'm curious. Would you only want to sync-back items that are explicitly in the SMF calendar? Or would you want all calendar entries from the Google calendar to be synched to the SMF calendar?

MrBiggz

Quote from: kriation on September 15, 2010, 01:40:25 PM
Hey Folks - I'm curious. Would you only want to sync-back items that are explicitly in the SMF calendar? Or would you want all calendar entries from the Google calendar to be synched to the SMF calendar?

Could it be a tick box to be either forum -> gCal  or forum <-> gCal.  Me personally I'd just create a google calendar that I'd use for the forum ONLY but I'd like to alter the calendar through google and let the mod pick it up. And at the same time users post their events and they add themselves to the calendar.

Does that make any sense?

kriation

Quote from: MrBiggz on September 15, 2010, 02:46:03 PM
Quote from: kriation on September 15, 2010, 01:40:25 PM

Could it be a tick box to be either forum -> gCal  or forum <-> gCal.  Me personally I'd just create a google calendar that I'd use for the forum ONLY but I'd like to alter the calendar through google and let the mod pick it up. And at the same time users post their events and they add themselves to the calendar.

Does that make any sense?

My question was more along the lines of synching only the calendar entries that are in the SMF calendar initially...

For instance, say you've created a couple of calendar entries through SMF, and they have entries in a Google Calendar through gCalSync. If you create an entry in the Google Calendar separately without SMF, do you want that entry to be populated in the SMF calendar?

MrBiggz

Quote from: kriation on September 16, 2010, 10:04:46 AM
My question was more along the lines of synching only the calendar entries that are in the SMF calendar initially...

For instance, say you've created a couple of calendar entries through SMF, and they have entries in a Google Calendar through gCalSync. If you create an entry in the Google Calendar separately without SMF, do you want that entry to be populated in the SMF calendar?

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Sorry!  That would be cool!

Advertisement: