News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problem upgrading from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3

Started by trekkie2444, September 07, 2010, 05:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekkie2444

When I download the small upgrade from the SMF website and install it in my package manager, it tells me that the package is empty, and I can't install it.

rd

Quote from: trekkie2444 on September 07, 2010, 05:03:03 PM
When I download the small upgrade from the SMF website and install it in my package manager, it tells me that the package is empty, and I can't install it.

To upgrade you need to get the 2.o RC3 large upgrade package. Extract it and upload ALL files and folders to your forum directory. Then you have to go to yourdomain.com/upgrade.php

This may help you:

Upgrading SMF

KensonPlays

no smf upgrades for the software itslef install in the package manager, and yes rd's link should be real helpful

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

sAce

Currently 2.0 only supports manual upgrade, but 1.1.x did support Package manager upgrades.

Rudy64

Quote from: S-Ace on September 08, 2010, 07:40:27 AM
Currently 2.0 only supports manual upgrade, but 1.1.x did support Package manager upgrades.

If I may jump in here...I'm also attempting 2.0 RC2 to 2.0 RC3.  The upgrade guide above is somewhat helpful, but applies to the 1.x branch if I'm reading it correctly.

Everything is backed up and ready to go, but I'm confused as to what to do with modifications.  Because you say "manual upgrade," it makes me think I will have to reinstall the mods once I copy all the new files over to the server.  Or basically, I'm asking if 2.0 can't yet do a "patch" applied to the existing files, vs. replacing them (losing the mods in the process).  I also don't want to uninstall the modifications, as this may delete any stored data in the database (which would include settings for some of the mods).

I've downloaded the "small" upgrade package...but should I be using another one? 

TIA for helping with my late-night confusion...

sAce

By manual i mean browsing to upgrade.php and following the procedure.

As for update from rc2 > rc3,
if you dont have many mods or the mods you installed are RC3 compatible, please relax and overwrite and reinstall the mods.

but if you want to keep the mods, then the hard way is to compare every file and apply the changes. ( NOT recommended )

Alex' Manson

^
                                                                                               l
it's kind-of easy.. relax,upgrade that's all :P the only problem you may have is "mods" because some mods you may have aren't compatible with RC3 so yep...

Rudy64

My mods are mostly RC2/RC3 compatible, as is the mod I wrote myself, so I should be OK.  I won't uninstall though, as that would delete the mods' data from the database.

Thanks!

Deaks

trekkie did you manage to upgrade your forum, as you not have not replied in a month I am marking this as solved if you need further assistance please respond and we can help you further.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

trekkie2444

Sorry, this topic isn't solved.

I'm still confused about this. I have a lot of mods that I don't want to lose the data from, like the gallery (for comments on photos) and also manual changes that I've had to make to themes. Isn't there a way around this without having to go through ALL of the files associated with them?

Norv

There is no way around, however: mods normally do NOT delete their data from the database. Regardless whether you uninstall them before the upgrade, or you do not uninstall them, just try to reinstall after.
(the catch may be that in the second case, they may appear as installed after the upgrade, even if they're obviously nowhere now - they were overwritten; in that case you may want to force their uninstallation or simply empty the smf_log_packages table).

At least mods present on this site, should behave this way. (it could depend on the mod). So my recommendation is to uninstall them, upgrade by overwriting files and running upgrade.php, then reinstall them. Galleries, specially, don't lose data at uninstall, exactly because it is known that people may want to reinstall and find their settings and all other data.
If you're worried, you could try in another directory, on a new test forum, to see how it behaves.

About changes to themes: if you upgrade to RC4, your custom themes (all but Core and Curve) will remain intact. These two get overwritten as well, and if it is in them that you made changes, you may want to save them before, and compare and restore after.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: