[Implemented]Display name changing

Started by Tyris, August 06, 2003, 06:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyris

I don't personally think its that important.... but quite a few of my members find it rather annoying when someone changes their display name... basically... people get confused.
I was thinking perhaps when they change their display name, store the next most recent one in their profile... as "Formerly Known As:" or something... Of course designed so that the admin could choose whether they want it to appear under their name, or profile.
Perhaps it could have a timer on it too... so after a certain number of days it disapears (once everyone can remember who the person is).

Another idea... which I think has partially been discussed is the option for users to turn off images etc when viewing posts.
Perhaps instead an option to "quickview" the topic... with a similar display to the one displayed when you post a reply (except most recent post at the bottom).
Also, in the quick view area... (both in reply to message and potentially the above idea), could we have images replaced with the word [image] or something... rather than just disapearing altogether...

Even further... is the idea... that instead of making the admin choose what stuff is displayed on the post screen (ie: gender, post count, email, icq etc), allow the user to choose how much data he or she wants displayed on the standard view.

hmm... I'm always coming up with ideas... often that I decide are pretty crap afterwards... just thought I'd see what others think. If they dont become features and I still think they're a good idea I may make mods for them...

finally... (sorry for the long post  ::) )
With the split function... I know it isn't used much.... but maybe if it had a few more features it would be. One thing I thought would be nice is the ability to split a topic, and COPY some of the posts over, instead of MOVING the posts. It's just when I split a topic its usually because someone has said something VERY off topic in a VERY specific thread... but the post may ALSO contain relevant stuff. In this case a new topic with this post and others would be nice, whilst retaining the original post in the first topic.
Hope that made sense... basically the ability to copy posts instead of moving them in the split topic feature.

Again, sorry for the long post.

۞

QuoteI don't personally think its that important.... but quite a few of my members find it rather annoying when someone changes their display name... basically... people get confused.
I was thinking perhaps when they change their display name, store the next most recent one in their profile... as "Formerly Known As:" or something... Of course designed so that the admin could choose whether they want it to appear under their name, or profile.
Perhaps it could have a timer on it too... so after a certain number of days it disapears (once everyone can remember who the person is).

I like this Idea a lot, it is annoying when someone changes their name, but with this idea, what if someone changed their name twice in a row, nobody would still know who they were. Hmm, maybe instead of displaying the old display name it could display the login name, If the login name and display name are different.

QuoteAnother idea... which I think has partially been discussed is the option for users to turn off images etc when viewing posts.
Perhaps instead an option to "quickview" the topic... with a similar display to the one displayed when you post a reply (except most recent post at the bottom).
Also, in the quick view area... (both in reply to message and potentially the above idea), could we have images replaced with the word [image] or something... rather than just disapearing altogether...

I'm not sure i'd use this feature but it might be useful for some.

QuoteEven further... is the idea... that instead of making the admin choose what stuff is displayed on the post screen (ie: gender, post count, email, icq etc), allow the user to choose how much data he or she wants displayed on the standard view.

Yeah, I like this. Make it look like the old UBB boards ;)

QuoteWith the split function... I know it isn't used much.... but maybe if it had a few more features it would be. One thing I thought would be nice is the ability to split a topic, and COPY some of the posts over, instead of MOVING the posts. It's just when I split a topic its usually because someone has said something VERY off topic in a VERY specific thread... but the post may ALSO contain relevant stuff. In this case a new topic with this post and others would be nice, whilst retaining the original post in the first topic.
Hope that made sense... basically the ability to copy posts instead of moving them in the split topic feature.

How about choosing which posts to leave in the thread and which to move into the second thread. That would keep things tidy.

[Edit: I'm so used to using code tags i used them for the quotes :P ]

TTTTTT  OOOOOO MMMMMM   BBBBBB

Tyris

Glad you like my first idea.
I was thinking about the double change thing... perhaps there could be a whole text thing saved in the database...
a few lines... each with a timestamp or something... so that no matter how many times its changed they're all recorded (at least all those that are within the time period).
Then instead of displaying who they were previously known as... have a link "Formerly Known As", that links to the profile... which could have a box displaying ALL the past display names in the time frame.

The feature for turning off images etc is mainly for those on slow connections. For most of us this is probably no longer a problem, but down in Australia I've still got a lot of friends still running of their 56k modems :o :o
It'd just be nice for those people who wanna set their posts per page REALLY high from a slow connection, would make things much nicer for them.
The whole permissions part of that idea what be alot harder to do in a mod (I'm only a bit of an ammateur) coz you'd need to code in a whole lot of new sections to the permissions for each part of the post (gender, post count etc).

For the splitting topics... I think it already allows you to choose which posts to keep, and which to move... I'd just like the extra option of being able to choose some to keep, some to move, and some to keep AND move (ie: copy).

Acf

QuoteI like this Idea a lot, it is annoying when someone changes their name, but with this idea, what if someone changed their name twice in a row, nobody would still know who they were. Hmm, maybe instead of displaying the old display name it could display the login name, If the login name and display name are different.

Putting "also known as" into qoutes would be handy becaus if somebody changes his name the qoute name will be difrend from the changed name.
Or the qoute name most change with the name change.
Sigh...

vanityq

i ve been looking around the setting and i think its time to ask question here :)

is it possible to disable the display name changing? can find the checkbox setting for this. help  thanks :)

karlbenson

admin >features and options
Allow users to edit their displayed name?   

vanityq

whew.. thanks..
ive been looking  in the permission settings.. thank so much ;)

Advertisement: