News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

More About Subscriptions and Trial Memberships

Started by PenelopeQ, September 11, 2010, 02:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

I am now testing the default membergroup mod which automatically assigns members to a specific membergroup upon registration to see if my test user will be removed from the group after a 1-week trial. But I just realized that does not solve the problem with the subscription feature being available for anyone to sign up for it; it is only supposed to be available to new members.

Instead of having new members automatically assigned to the group, I can set registration for administrator acceptance first and then add each person manually. But that still brings me to the same problem--the trial subscription is available for anyone to sign up in the subscription menu.

If I deactivate the trial subscription, then won't I be removing the automatic removal from the membergroup after a week? I would then need to go through every day and remove the new members from the group after they'd been in it for a week—tedious and error-prone.

Do I need to request a mod for this, or is it somehow possible within the present subscription features?

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

So in short, you want to completely shut down the forum for regular members.
Then using paid subs to enable the forum?

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

PenelopeQ

No. I have a public community board and will have a private community board available only to paying subscribers as well as giving subscribers reading access to coaching archives. Trial Subscribers--non-paying--will have access to the coaching archives, but not to the private community board.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

A free trial will not work with paid subscriptions (you need to have a set amount in a positive amount), you could charge them a few cents though.

You can easily create 2 separate membergroups, one with the access to the one board and one access to both boards, this will work for paid subscriptions, as for making a free trial, you may have to put members in those groups manually an remove them manually too

Setting up the boards is the easy part, you will probably be wanting to request a mod, you could ask for a "board access trial" mod or something.

If you requested that mod, it would probably work something like this;
A member can apply for group membership, but it will expire and log that they already used it, then they will be returned to their previous member group.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

PenelopeQ

Thanks.

I will request that mod--board access/free-trial. Someone on the mod thread for the default membergroup mod said they were interested in the same thing for which I was asking.

As for the boards and membergroups--those are already set up. I'm ready to go other than the free-trial issue.

I will mark this as solved and put in a mod request.

Advertisement: