News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can't convert Vbulletin to SMF (least not properly)

Started by Deimos, June 26, 2005, 12:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deimos

Conversion process goes without any errors....but...

When the SMF board loads up, there's no categories, boards or posts.

If I go into the admin panel, there's only one category in the manage boards list, where as my VB board had about..6
There's no forums showing up either
I tried running the "Repair all errors" and it came up with a TON, like.......

Topic 4847 does not have a matching board (Board 24).
Topic 4999 does not have a matching board (Board 24).

(Tons of them going down multiple pages)

If I try and repair the errors, I get

Duplicate entry '255' for key 1
File: /home/deimos/public_html/smf/Sources/RepairBoards.php
Line: 438

Any help would be greatly apprecaited!

*edit*
PM's didn't copy across right either
On my VB board, I have 420, but only 10 show up on the SMF one

[Unknown]

Unfortunately, sometimes the conversion is not able to convert everything perfectly in one go.  After conversion, you may have to go to Admin -> Forum Maintenance, adn select both "recoutn all forum totals" and "repair all forum errors".

Sounds like you have a lot of categories, or have created many "forums" in vBulletin in the past, if you are getting that error.  The following queries should help you:

ALTER TABLE smf_categories
DROP PRIMARY KEY,
CHANGE COLUMN ID_CAT ID_CAT smallint(5) unsigned auto_increment PRIMARY KEY;

ALTER TABLE smf_boards
CHANGE COLUMN ID_CAT ID_CAT smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default 0;

This will make your database slightly slower, but to tell the truth you'll probably never notice it.  What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

goodhe

Hi;
Please help. I convert my vBulletin3.06 to SMF1.05.
EVery thing seem ok expect attachment and avartars.

I look at the attachment directory smf forum and all the file has 0 bytes.

I did the Forum Maintenance, try conversion several, same result.....

Any one has any idea ???

[Unknown]

Interesting.  Have you made any changes to your installation of vBulletin?

The files definitely shouldn't be 0 bytes... my only guess is something went wrong in their conversion, but... I'm not sure.

-[Unknown]

goodhe

i have not change vb.

When I look in vb attachment directory, it seem vb has many sub-directory and sub-sub-sub directory.....

Its there any script to just run the attachment part only to recover this?

I already start my forum I am willing to go with the attachment file but I would really like to convert them to SMF forum....

[Unknown]

Yes, it should be more than possible to redo the attachments without disturbing your forum.

I'm afraid I hadn't heard of the directory/subdirectory method of storing attachments.  Would it be possible to give me a limited FTP account to take a look with?

-[Unknown]

goodhe

Hi;
Sorry for the late reply.

Sure I setup the temp ftp account. please look at my attachment directory.

vbulletin structure...

forum
forum/images
forum/images/attach
forum/images/attachment             <======

ftp account
[email protected]

[Unknown]

Interesting.  It looks like it's done by the id - as in, if the id were 1234, it would be attachment/1/2/3/4... is that right?

What version of vBulletin were you using?  I've not seen this before.

-[Unknown]

goodhe

QuoteHi;
Please help. I convert my vBulletin3.06 to SMF1.05.
EVery thing seem ok expect attachment and avartars

Please let me know if you still need to the ftp account...thanks

[Unknown]

I don't need it any longer.

Please try the attached.

-[Unknown]

goodhe

hi;
I try the script. It's work but not 100% perfect.
70% is successfully convert attachment.

Some attachment still said zero bit.
avartars does not work converting...

Items for uShop.zip [nofollow] (0 KB - downloaded 0 times.)

I notice that vbulletin would let you upload file even it is already exist.
SMF would not let you. So I notice that the post that same the same file name both seem both attachment xxx (0 KB - downloaded 0 times.)
But not sure,

You have any other suggestion? Willing to try other script.....

Thank-you for your quick response...

[Unknown]

Quote from: goodhe on July 25, 2005, 02:28:35 AM
hi;
I try the script. It's work but not 100% perfect.
70% is successfully convert attachment.

Are some of the files still in the database or not using that filesystem format?

Is there anything peculiar about the poster's ids of the attachments which don't work?

Do you also have avatars in the filesystem, or no?

I notice that vbulletin would let you upload file even it is already exist.
SMF would not let you. So I notice that the post that same the same file name both seem both attachment xxx (0 KB - downloaded 0 times.)
But not sure,

That's not the case.  I could attach three files to this topic all with the same name; in fact, I'll do so.  Say hello to three copies of the 1.1 converter file for vBulletin 3.

QuoteYou have any other suggestion? Willing to try other script.....

Thank-you for your quick response...

I'll try to see what might be wrong with the current implementation in a little while.  My phone company is having technical difficulties, so I'm afraid I have a lot to catch up on right now.

-[Unknown]

goodhe

QuoteAre some of the files still in the database or not using that filesystem format?
Yes, still in database. It is being used. I did not prune if that what you mean.

QuoteIs there anything peculiar about the poster's ids of the attachments which don't work?
The orginal VB post id for one particular post ID is 79 the attachment is there and I can download. But when it convert to SMF is change to 77. The post topice and body message is correct but attachment say zero bytes.

QuoteThat's not the case.  I could attach three files to this topic all with the same name; in fact, I'll do so.  Say hello to three copies of the 1.1 converter file for vBulletin 3.
I try to post on my SMF forum under different board topic and attachment with the same file. I said the file already exist. Its there a setting I need to change?

Note: I have vbulletin forum and SMF up. If you like to see and test please let me know.

Uzbekistan

After i converted from vB3.0.3 to smf - all PMs are shown empty in SMF! Is is a known bug?
If yes - how can i import personal messages from vb to smf?

[Unknown]

Quote from: goodhe on July 26, 2005, 11:41:23 PM
QuoteAre some of the files still in the database or not using that filesystem format?
Yes, still in database. It is being used. I did not prune if that what you mean.

I meant, it turns out vBulletin 3 has an option to store attachments either in the filesystem or in the database.

The file I gave you assumes all attachments are in the filesystem, because from my understanding vBulletin 3 requires it be one or the other.  Do you have some in the database, and some in the filesystem?

QuoteThe orginal VB post id for one particular post ID is 79 the attachment is there and I can download. But when it convert to SMF is change to 77. The post topice and body message is correct but attachment say zero bytes.

None of the actual post ids should have changed.  Are you sure you're not looking at topic ids?

This is the topic with message 77 in it:

http://www.dvbdss.com/forum/index.php?topic=44.0

QuoteI try to post on my SMF forum under different board topic and attachment with the same file. I said the file already exist. Its there a setting I need to change?

That's the "encrypt attachment filenames" option in attachment settings.

Quote from: Uzbek on July 27, 2005, 06:29:02 PM
After i converted from vB3.0.3 to smf - all PMs are shown empty in SMF! Is is a known bug?
If yes - how can i import personal messages from vb to smf?

SMF 1.1 or SMF 1.0?  Which converter did you use?

-[Unknown]

goodhe

QuoteI meant, it turns out vBulletin 3 has an option to store attachments either in the filesystem or in the database.
Yes, all mine attachment are on the filesystem not database. You seen the attachment before when you ftp to the account before.

QuoteNone of the actual post ids should have changed.  Are you sure you're not looking at topic ids?
You are correct, I recheck it and they match up. I don't know what I was looking at before.

I just convert another forum to SMF using same script you gave me.
Please look at post:
http://www.ephree.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.0 [nofollow]

most of my attachment say zero byte.

The attachment on vb is there on the filesystem

Uzbekistan

[Unknown] - i used converter from donload section and installed on smf 1.1b3p.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Uzbek on July 28, 2005, 04:14:22 PM
[Unknown] - i used converter from donload section and installed on smf 1.1b3p.

You need to use the 1.1 converter, attached.

Quote from: goodhe on July 28, 2005, 01:46:31 PM
I just convert another forum to SMF using same script you gave me.
Please look at post:
http://www.ephree.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.0

Is that one live yet?  Would it be possible for me to have access to the server and try the conversion myself, such that I can figure out what is going amuck?

-[Unknown]

Uzbekistan

Hi unknown! Sorry - i assume converter.php is the one to run. When do i use vb3_to_smf.sql(attached) and where?
An what is the purpose of it?
Thanks ahead! SMF - Great piece of software!

[Unknown]

Quote from: Uzbek on July 29, 2005, 03:05:39 PM
Hi unknown! Sorry - i assume converter.php is the one to run. When do i use vb3_to_smf.sql(attached) and where?
An what is the purpose of it?
Thanks ahead! SMF - Great piece of software!

It is just a data file for convert.php.  Upload both to the same folder, and access convert.php (the same way you might have done for install.php.)  Depending on your server configuration, it may offer to delete both files for you once the conversion is complete.

You don't need to do anything else with the other file.  It was just separated into two files to improve the converter development process (and since we now have about 32 converters as compared to 6, I'd say it worked ;).)

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: