Hide membergroup?

Started by PenelopeQ, September 15, 2010, 12:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

Can someone explain the desginations of

• Visible
  • Visible only in group key
  • Invisible

In the area to set up and modify each membergroup.

I don't want the membergroup titles that desgnate a person's subscription level/status to be publicly viewable. But when I selected invisible it came up with a pop up that could be interpreted as a warning and thus I'm wary.

Quote from: Pop-upAre you sure you want to disallow assignment of this group as a users primary membergroup?

Doing so will restrict assingment to additional groups only, and will update all current "primary" members to have it as an additional group only.
What does that even mean? All I want to do is hide the membergroup designations that are personal--revealing whether a person is a subscriber or not and at what level.

Will I affect the subscription feature if I select invisible?

xenovanis

It actually means that the option to assign a group as a primary membergroup will be disabled. You will be only able to use it as an additional membergroup. Which is, in your case, perfect because additional membergroups are 'hidden'. Except for admins no one will be able to see these members are added to this group.

So, if you want to assign a member to this 'hidden' group, in their Profile -> Account Settings, choose 'Additional Groups'.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

PenelopeQ

I thought this was solved, but when I go in and view one test account from another test account I can see the membergroup designation that is supposed to be Invisible. These groups are still listed as Invisible in the admin center.

I just went and checked on a subscirber who needed to hide her thread until the subscription service is public. I made up a group for her and it is Invisible. The subscription accounts are not linked in anyway to that group. When I view her profile or posts from either my regaular admin account or a test member account it does not show that private/invisible group.

So it seems the only issue is that Invisible groups are showing to everyone only when the subscription pulls from that group. That is not what I want as I assume  many people will not want it public that they are subscribers when they post in the public forum and who would want anyone to know what type of subscription you bought at all.

PenelopeQ

Yes, I know. But I should not be able to view them in my test accounts.

PenelopeQ

I think I may have solved it.

In the subscription feature linked to that group I originally had it automatically pull from the group and then it has a checkbox list of additional groups. I checked the box for the group that was already the default.

So I have now unchecked that box and only have the group listed as the default. Though I don't know why that would change it, but I cannot see the Invisible groups anymore--not even as an admin when viewing the profile.

sAce

Workin fine for me.

I can take look at your setup if you want.

Advertisement: