News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

What's going on

Started by Plantsman, September 17, 2010, 08:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plantsman

Just because I changed my language from English us to English I lost much of the text in my help pages. When I reverted to English us it re-appeared.   Can anyone explain this to me please.

I recently added a Simple Portal but I doubt if  that would have caused this effect. I'm happy to stay with English us but I would like to learn why this happened.

Plantsman

gbsothere

Quote from: Plantsman on September 17, 2010, 08:31:47 AM
Just because I changed my language from English us to English I lost much of the text in my help pages. When I reverted to English us it re-appeared.   Can anyone explain this to me please.

I recently added a Simple Portal but I doubt if  that would have caused this effect. I'm happy to stay with English us but I would like to learn why this happened.

Plantsman

If you're going to use utf-8, then any mods that you have installed will need to have their edits placed in the utf-8 versions of whatever language files they modify.  You can find the edits by accessing each mod's page, clicking next to the zip you downloaded, setting the pulldown for your version of SMF, clicking Parse, then finding the language files modified, and editing your files and reuploading them.  If you use a custom theme, check its folder for language files, as well, as any utf-8 versions of the language file will also need to be edited.
:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Plantsman

I'm not going to use utf-8. All I wanted to know is why the loss of help text occurred on my changeover from en_US to en_GB
This might be something that can't be answered but I'm always keen to learn, hence my question.

gbsothere

Quote from: Plantsman on September 17, 2010, 09:00:03 AM
I'm not going to use utf-8. All I wanted to know is why the loss of help text occurred on my changeover from en_US to en_GB
This might be something that can't be answered but I'm always keen to learn, hence my question.

Forgive me for misunderstanding.  I suppose, then, that you have installed any language packs you need, since you're able to select between one and the other:

http://download.simplemachines.org/?languages

I'm sure it can be answered and someone with more insight will come along to do to.     :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Kays

Hi, if it's English-British, you are trying to use. Not all mod authors include the language strings for English-British. So when installing those mods, the files for English-British are not updated. This needs to be done manually.

Manual Installation of Mods

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Plantsman

That's ok gbsothere; I gathered that you had misunderstood my question.

Thank you Kays that's made things clear to me.  I will stick to en_US but it's good to know what had happened and what I must to if I want to get the help text back if I do change to the en_GB.  It's simply that I thought the latter should be the one to use.

Advertisement: