News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

MySQL server is stopping

Started by TF_, June 27, 2005, 07:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TF_

Hi.

I have a very big forum with big traffic. 100 000 - 120 000 sideviews. over 8000 members and 340 000 posts.

When I surf on the forum, maybe 10-15 minutes and suddenly the MySQL server is hanging and it stopp. When I have to stop and start apache server and MySQL server for view the forum again.

I have exactly upgrade the forum to SMF 1.0.5 and I have the same problem.

Is'nt SMF made for huge forums with a lot of traffic? I have a big and quick dedicated server.

Ben_S

SMF is fine on big forums.

How about some info such as what specs the server is, what versions of php / MySQL you are running, any accelerators such as eAccelerator, MMCache etc?

Have you optimized your MySQL config as the default config is actually pretty rubbish?

How many active users do you have online in a 15 minute period?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

TF_

Forumets SMF-versjon: SMF 1.0.5 (mer detaljert)
Nyeste SMF-versjon: SMF 1.0.5
PHP-versjon: 4.3.10
MySQL-versjon: 4.0.18-log
Serverversjon: Apache/2.0.52 (FreeBSD) PHP/4.3.10
GD-versjon: bundled (2.0.28 compatible)

I have optimize tables in phpmyadmin yesterday.

I have also shut down avatars and attachments, if that takes system power.But MySQL is still hanging...  :(

Ben_S

Any accelerators such as eAccelerator, MMCache etc?

Have you optimized your MySQL config as the default config is actually pretty rubbish [I mean my.cnf here]?

How many active users do you have online in a 15 minute period?

Also what spec if you server, what process how much ram?

Do a search for InnoDB on this forum too as switching certain tables to InnoDB can help with performance.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

TF_

Quote from: Ben_S on June 27, 2005, 08:44:33 AM
Any accelerators such as eAccelerator, MMCache etc?
Not sure, will it make big differences in performance?

QuoteHave you optimized your MySQL config as the default config is actually pretty rubbish [I mean my.cnf here]?
No, I haven't... but after a little research I increased a few of the variables (amon the key_buffer_size) - which seems to has solved the main problems that brought mySQL down... I found the guide at http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/3367871 and changed the variables by doing "SET GLOBAL [var_name] = [number]"

QuoteAlso what spec if you server, what process how much ram?
Not sure either, but it should have 1GB of ram. I increased the key_buffer_size from 64M to 192MB, that helped alot!

QuoteDo a search for InnoDB on this forum too as switching certain tables to InnoDB can help with performance.
Thank you for this, found a nice post about this at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=30542.0

[Unknown]

Quote from: TF_ on June 27, 2005, 03:06:52 PM
Not sure, will it make big differences in performance?

Yes.

QuoteSET GLOBAL [var_name] = [number]

They will reset after MySQL is restarted - you need to change them in my.cnf.

QuoteNot sure either, but it should have 1GB of ram.

Then your server is better than the one that hosts this forum - which is a Celeron 1700 w/512mb ram.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: