News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

phpBB converter working with smf v1.1?

Started by davo88, July 03, 2005, 03:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davo88

I'd like to convert a forum from phpBB v2.0.16 to smf v1.1 beta 3.

Does the phpBB converter on the download page support smf v1.1 ?

Grudge

Please use the attached converter. Put both files in your SMF directory and run convert.php - that should work.
I'm only a half geek really...

davo88

gmflie

Hi,

i fixed some minor things (some missing "then"s) and the script says "conversion successful", but nothing ist converted.

Anything new on conversion from phpbb to smf1.1 beta?

greetings

TriGrrrl

Thought I'd share my experience:

I started out with the wrong (old) converter that I had pulled from the download section, but found this thread and the right converter.

On my first attempt with the new converter, I got
--- Converting poll questions...  success
--- Converting polls options...    success
--- Converting polls options...

and then a mysql error complaining of a duplicate key  (sorry, I am reporting this from memory and don't have the exact text available)

I ran some select statements on the phpbb database to see if I could find the offending record, to no avail.  Then I thought I'd modify the sql script to make it throw out duplicates.  My basic SQL knowledge is not bad, but it wasn't good enough to figure out where in the script to do this.

Then, I found the debug switch for the converter script.  I was just hoping to get a better clue of where I had data issues, but the debug mode successfully brought all my data over!   I'm guessing  debug mode just keeps going even if there are errors.

It must have worked because all of my post counts, member counts, and a precursory glance at some of the polls seem to be correct.  None of my users have complained of anything after it's been running for three days.

The users really love the new forum!

TG

Edit:
Whoops, I forgot to mention that my "watched forums" data (phpbb_forums_watch table) did not come over from phpBB either.  But I was expecting that, since watching forums is done via mod on phpBB, it is not built in.  It was very simple to dump the data, change some field names, and import it into smf_log_notify.

[Unknown]

I'm glad it worked for you.. but, just as a warning, debug mode does... nothing.  It runs the SELECT queries but doesn't run any INSERT or etc. queries.

Still, if it got that far you were basically done anyway.

-[Unknown]

Disaster123

I also try to move from phpBB2 to smf. So i downloaded the atached Files - but I get an error:
This query:
SELECT
forum_id AS ID_BOARD, forum_order AS boardOrder, forum_posts AS numPosts,
forum_last_post_id AS ID_LAST_MSG, forum_name AS name, cat_id AS ID_CAT,
forum_desc AS description, forum_topics AS numTopics,
CASE auth_read
WHEN 0 THEN '-1,0,2'
WHEN 1 THEN '0,2'
WHEN 3 THEN '2'
WHEN 5 ELSE ''
END AS memberGroups
FROM `usrdb_proficb62`.phpbb_forums
LIMIT 0, 500;
Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ELSE ''
END AS memberGroups
FROM `usrdb_proficb62`.phpbb_forums

jsdoyle

I'm having the same problem as Disaster123.  I'm trying to convert a phpBB install (v 2.017) to smf 1.1 b3.

I get:

QuoteUnsuccessful!
This query:

SELECT
    forum_id AS ID_BOARD, forum_order AS boardOrder, forum_posts AS numPosts,
    forum_last_post_id AS ID_LAST_MSG, forum_name AS name, cat_id AS ID_CAT,
    forum_desc AS description, forum_topics AS numTopics,
    CASE auth_read
    WHEN 0 THEN '-1,0,2'
    WHEN 1 THEN '0,2'
    WHEN 3 THEN '2'
    WHEN 5 ELSE ' '
    END AS memberGroups
    FROM `phpBB`.phpbb_forums
    LIMIT 0, 500;

Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ELSE ' '
    END AS memberGroups
    FROM `phpBB`.phpbb_forums
    LIMIT 0, 500' at line 9

Anyone have a clue?  I'm using what I beleive to be the latest convert files and installing to a fresh install of SMF 1.1b3.

Thanks,

Scott

[Unknown]

jsdoyle

Thanks, I did just that last night and started getting another error in the second section that converted the poll options.  I was getting a duplicate value error.

I couldn't get around that so just to see what would happen I removed that section from the conversion script.  My phpbb forum converted then with no errors received.  I knew it wouldn't be right but I did it just to see what would happen.

My SMF 1.1B3 board now looks great but the converted polls can't be voted in.  No surprise there.

My other issues are that non of my members avatars are attached to their profiles.  They converted and are listed but they just aren't associated with the members.

Also, none of my attachments  converted over.  They simply aren't listed in the attachment manager nor in the attachments database table.

Those are the biggies.  All categories, forums, topics, replies, membergroups, and members converted fine!

I sure would like to get the attachments and avatars working properly!  Any ideas?

Scott

[Unknown]

Were you using the standard (most common) file attachment mod for phpBB?

Please try the attached (to make sure you're using the latest.)

-[Unknown]

jsdoyle

Downloaded the two files, ran convert.php and got the following error:

QuoteConverting...
Converting ranks...Successful.
Converting groups...Successful.
Converting members...Successful.
Converting additional member groups...Successful.
Converting categories...Successful.
Converting boards...Successful.
Converting topics...Successful.
Converting posts (this may take some time)...Successful.
Converting polls...Successful.
Converting poll options...Successful.
Converting poll votes... Unsuccessful!
This query:
SELECT vote_id AS ID_POLL, vote_user_id AS ID_MEMBER
FROM `phpBB`.phpbb_vote_voters
WHERE vote_user_id > 0
GROUP BY vote_id, vote_option_id
LIMIT 0, 500;
Caused the error:

Unknown column 'vote_option_id' in 'group statement'

Alot left to do.

Any ideas?

About the attachment manager I have installed it is a basic install.  Nothing fancy.  phpBB version 2.0.17 and Attachment Mod version 2.3.9

Thanks!

[Unknown]

Sorry, that was a typo I made in the most recent version trying to fix someone else's issue with a somewhat corrupt database.  I reuploaded it here....

Try the attached, please.

-[Unknown]

jsdoyle

Thanks for the latest file.  This one ran and completed without any errors.  But.. no attachments converted.  It said they did but when I go to my smf 1.1 install there are none.

I'm working on the other install using smf 1.05.  See my other posts related to those errors too.

Thanks,

Scott

[Unknown]

Remember, you have to log in to see attachments.  Do you see them in the attachments manager?  Are you using the default theme?

-[Unknown]

jsdoyle

yes I'm logged in and there are no attachments listed in the attachment manager and no avatars.

Scott

[Unknown]

jsdoyle

Here's what was returned by the conversion script

QuoteConverting...
Converting posts (this may take some time)... Successful.
Converting polls...Successful.
Converting poll options...Successful.
Converting poll votes...Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 1)...Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)...Successful.
Converting topic notifications...Successful.
Converting board access...Successful.
Converting group access...Successful.
Converting moderators...Successful.
Converting avatar gallery images...Successful.
Converting censored words...Successful.
Converting reserved names...Successful.
Converting banned users...Successful.
Converting settings... Error in convert script phpbb2_to_smf.sql on line 832!
Successful.
Converting attachment mod (if installed)... Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... Successful.
No attachments or avatars.

Thanks though!

Scott

[Unknown]

Strange... does this one say anything illuminating?

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: