News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Themes directory won't delete.

Started by ChimeraX, December 01, 2010, 11:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChimeraX

So I installed 1.1.12 SMF but I like 2.0 better. So I went into FTp and deleted all the files. All of them are gone except one. THe themes directroy won't delete. And at the top of FileZilla it says wrong permission. What do I do? I want to install 2.0 on thje root directory but I can't with that there.
And I don't know what you will see but my site is ps3trophyguides.com [nofollow]

Thanks

JBlaze

Most likely, it means that when the theme was uploaded or modified via SMF, the wrong user was assigned, and thus you cannot delete it via FTP. You will have to delete it as Apache, which means using the unlink() function via FTP. Also, on that page I linked you to, there are some fairly useful recursive delete functions posted by some users. Check it out.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

ChimeraX

Thank you very much Blaze. I will be sure to check that out. ;)

ChimeraX

Ok I don't understand how to do this. SOmeone please help. :'(

tumbleweed

Ask you host to to fix ownership of all files inside your account.
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

ChimeraX

Quote from: tumbleweed on December 02, 2010, 12:05:59 AM
Ok I'll try. So there isn't any way I can just whipe everything out and start from scratch?

Oh and thanks 4 the reply

JBlaze

Quote from: ChimeraX on December 02, 2010, 12:07:07 AM
Quote from: tumbleweed on December 02, 2010, 12:05:59 AM
Ok I'll try. So there isn't any way I can just whipe everything out and start from scratch?

Oh and thanks 4 the reply
Not really. The ownership of files prevents you from doing anything unless you either have root access, or you do what I posted above. Ask your host.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

IceXaos

If you have SSH access, just sudo rm -rv dir

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There are a few ways to handle a situation where the ownership of a folder or files is wrong.

1) Chmod the files/folders 777 with a PHP script such as the SMF built in options (in Packages) and then delete them.
2) Use some sort of php file manager to directly delete them, such as http://phpfm.sourceforge.net/
3) Ask your host to fix ownership, and then delete them

Most of the time, any or all of those options should work.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: