News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problem performing a backup.

Started by Spaceboy_uk, December 05, 2010, 07:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceboy_uk

First off, hello, new here and fairly new to SMF but reasonably savvy in the ways of webservers and stuff ;)

SMF 2.0 RC2

Initial problem is that I cannot download a backup of my forums.  When I hit the download button (with or without gzip enabled) my browser (firefox 3.6.12 & IE7) both display a long string of characters that is presumably the .sql file that should be downloaded... however toward the end of this displayed file there is an entry :

Error!
\'; echo \'

The following error(s) occured:\'; echo \"

\"; foreach ($enroll_errors as $msg) { echo \" - $msg
\"; } echo \"

Please, correct all errors and try again.

At first I thought it was just the browser not downloading the file, but looking at the SMF Error Log I see this entry :
http://URL HERE/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=database;activity=backup
Database Error: Table 'smf_log_spider_hits' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
File: INSTALLDIRHERE/forum/Sources/DumpDatabase.php
Line: 171

So off I google and run the recommended course of action to "Find and repair any errors" from the maintenance area... I run this and it comes back with "Congratulations, no errors found! Thanks for checking."

So, I'm fairly sure the problem lies with the crashed table, but I have no way of repairing it.  I have no access to a CPanel, or a phpMyAdmin as I have no access (currently, awaiting more details) to the server other than via the SMF admin login.

Any help / advice much appreciated :)

Illori

the smf backup function is not always the best way to get a full database backup, several developers here recommend using phpmyadmin for getting a backup.

Spaceboy_uk

Many thanks for the quick response!

Unfortunately I have no access to phpMyAdmin, nor access to the server in order to upload/install it... so the backup function is all I have to play with - likewise with the repair function.

I fear I may be between a rock and a hard place until actual server access can be gained  ::)

IceXaos

Yes, without access to the server, you are pretty much screwed.  Also as said, I wouldn't use that backup tool even if you got it fixed.  phpMyAdmin is the way to go with that.

tumbleweed

G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

sAce

Antechinus

You'll need to run a database query to either repair or replace that table. If you do not have access to phpMyAdmin you might be able to get your host to do it. Alternatively you could try this: http://www.adminer.org/en/

Advertisement: