Resolved: Need help sorting out board permissions on smf 2.0 rc4

Started by robert_cyrus, December 16, 2010, 05:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_cyrus

Hi, My problem is that I get new members who join with the sole intention of posting a classified ad in the "private" board.
I want to stop this happening, by ensuring that the permissions for that board disallow this.
I've set up what I believe should work, but it isn't.
All new members with 0 posts are assigned to a member group "zero" - this does not inherit permissions from the "regular members"
When the posts increase, they switch to a new member group, which does inherit from "regular members", and they would move up the ranks as the number of posts increases.
That bit works.
The "private" board has its own permissions set, and the "zero" membergroup is set up as "disallow" for posting a new thread.
And yet these "zero" members can still post in this section.
I have created a new group called "dealers" and they are the only ones who can post in another board "dealer ads" so that permission set up is correct, I just cant get this "zero cannot post a thread in private board" to work.
There must be something I've missed, can anyone suggest please?
thanks
Robert

IceXaos

Most likely by default they're put into the "regular member" group, and you're simply adding an additional group to that.  You will need to do it in reverse order to get new permissions after posting something by disallowing it by regular members, but then a poster group give the permission after they have so many posts.

robert_cyrus

hi, that's counter-intuitive, but appears to have worked.

i cant see that the "zero" group was inheriting from the "regular member", it was defined with "no have own permissions" not inherit, but anyway - i have the end result i was looking for.

thanks!

Advertisement: