Membergroups Clarification

Started by xrunner, December 30, 2010, 01:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrunner

Using SMF 2.0 RC4, where you can create membergroups, I'm confused on the first two options bolded below -

Private (Membership must be assigned)
Protected (Only administrators can manage and assign)

Requestable (User may request membership)
Free (User may leave and join group at will)
Post Based (Membership based on post count)

What is the effective difference between Private and Protected? Logically thinking I can't figure out the difference between the two. I went to the online help Wiki and there it doesn't even mention the Protected type of membergroup! See below -

# Private - Membership to a group has to be manually assigned for a member
# Requestable - Membership to the group can be requested by having a user go to their profile and selecting the Group Membership link
# Free - Like above, except membership can be automatically given to member when requested
# Post Based - Membership to group only granted when member meets specified post count

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Membergroups

Is the Wiki document incomplete in this area?

xrunner

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Bigguy

First one means membership to that membergroup must be assigned by either the moderator of that group or the admin. The second means that only admins can add you to that membergroup. (I think...I will be corrected if I'm not right, lol)

Farjo

Just done a bit of testing and Bigguy has it spot on.

"Is the Wiki document incomplete in this area?" - we did the answering, so you can update the Wiki :)

Bigguy

Glad I was right. :) The wiki will be updated at some point I am sure. Maybe I will do it later or someone will get to it. Thanks for checkin that out. :)

Farjo

No problem, I was curious myself as I will be using them :)

I was prompting xrunner to update the Wiki (bit cheeky of me) then all 3 of us have 'added value' ;)

Bigguy

Bigguy

abraamz

Maybe i cant code but i sure know how  to edit a wiki  :)

Bigguy

Which is just as important in my honest opinion. The people need to know. :)

xrunner

A little late back but thanks for the clarification!  :)

Advertisement: