News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Permissions and Membergroups

Started by Mari-chi, January 03, 2011, 08:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mari-chi

I'd like some help with giving permissions and setting membergroups if possible. :) Basically I run an RPG board, and people have to register an account, then post their applications and wait for an admin approval before posting roleplays.

I have the group "Guest" exactly how I want it at the moment, so that doesn't need any changing.

But, I would like people to go into a group called 'Unsorted' as soon as they have registered. They would be able to post only in the application boards, and would have to wait until their "applications" are approved. Oh, and I should mention now that none of these groups would be post-based.

After an admin has approved their application and they've been re-categorised into another group (it's a Harry Potter themed site, so the groups would be called 'Gryffindor', 'Hufflepuff', 'Ravenclaw' and 'Slytherin'), they would then be able to post like any regular member.

I would also like to make a separate group for 'Elves' and 'Professors', which would have the same permissions as 'Gryffindor', 'Hufflepuff', 'Ravenclaw' and 'Slytherin'.

And lastly, how would I give moderator powers for specific members? For example, if a member named "Test 123" is categorised in 'Ravenclaw', how would I go about giving "Test 123" moderator powers on one board? I've looked through all the dropdowns and options, but couldn't for the love of me, figure out how. :(

Thank-youuu. <3

Spoogs

Default member group http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1804

Go and modify the board... below "Allowed Groups" you will See Moderators <-- this is where you enter the names of those you want to moderate that board.

Arantor

OK, well let's see.

You can rename the Regular Members group to be Unsorted, it would have the same base effect: nothing would be listed in the left panel. Then set permissions so Regular Members can see whatever boards you want them to see, and only post where you like.

I'd suggest making a group called Sorted, then having the other four groups based on it, just to simplify permissions being set up. (Same deal with Elves and Professors, really, since it sounds like they're all just different names with the same group underneath, so make one group to do permissions and have all the others inherit from it.)

Specific powers in a specific board is actioned from the board's own configuration where there's a space for you to type in the moderators' name(s).

(This way, there is absolutely no code changes needed anywhere.)

Mari-chi

I appreciate the quick replies. :D

I installed the mod, and am figuring out how to use it lol.

@Incognito: How do I rename the existing groups? When I click 'modify', I don't see the option to do so. :S

I added a new group called Sorted as you suggested, and made the other groups inherit its permissions. :D

Edit: Also, is it possible to categorise one member into two groups?

Arantor

You can't rename the Regular Members group from there, because it's not a real group, more a sort of fallback for when there isn't an actual group. In fact, Regular Members isn't listed normally in the forum and there's no actual way to get 'Regular Members' appear because there's no entry for group 0 in the membergroups table.

If you desperately *must* have it renamed in the admin panel (since that's the only place it's *actually* displayed) you would have to use the language editor to update the language string - Admin > Languages > Edit Language > click on your language > from the drop down to the lower right, select Admin, then the entry whose title is membergroups_members. But really, it's only visible there - in all other ways it is your unsorted group.

If you *must* have it display to users in the forum itself that a given user is currently unsorted (as if the lack of a badge/stars/title isn't really enough), you would have to install the mod as indicated above and create an Unsorted group.

Mari-chi

Okay, thanks for that. XD If I think about it, since the title "Regular Member" doesn't show up anyway, it doesn't matter. :)

Just one last thing: I have it set so that a Regular Member (a person who first registers at my forum) can only post a new topic, and may only reply to the topics that they created... Is it possible to restrict their posting of new topics to specific boards? (For example, I would like newly registered people who haven't been "Sorted" to only be able to post in Student Applications, Professor Applications and Elf Applications.)

Spoogs

take a look at permission profiles

Admin>>Members>>Permissions>>Edit Profiles

With permission profiles you can create different profiles for different boards and set permissions for each membergroup accordingly

Mari-chi

Took me a while to navigate myself through all the links, but finally managed to do it. Thanks again for both your help. :)

Spoogs

Advertisement: