News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to import users in smf using usernames and passwords

Started by hiprakhar, February 06, 2011, 01:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiprakhar

Hello,

I run a college website, which administers a close group of students. I have plaintext usernames and passwords of people. I would like to now import all the users in smf forums, so that we can expand the group functionality.

Please tell how to do so. I tried studying myself, the import process. For this I tried creating testusers with same usernames and passwords. I figured out that despite same plaintext password, the password generated in smf in the smf_members table is different. Also the 4 digit password salt is different. Please tell me how to import the users in smf.

hiprakhar

vbgamer45

Add the entries to the smf_members table

Use the username in the real_name and member_name column

For the password column convert the password to this format in php to import it sha1(strtolower($username) . $password);
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

You can actually use plaintext passwords which then get re-encrypted when a user signs in.

hiprakhar

Thanks a lot friends! Please also tell what to put in the password_salt field

hiprakhar

No need for password salt! Its getting auto-generated everytime I log in!
That sha1(strtolower($username) . $password) as password works like a charm.

Thanks!!

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

hiprakhar

@vbgamer45

With friends like you, world will become a better place!!

Cheers :)

Advertisement: