Advertisement:

Author Topic: Private Message Email Notification  (Read 13269 times)

Offline melanieh75

• Semi-Newbie
Private Message Email Notification
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
I have been looking, and cannot seem to find if this already exists. I would like to change the notification email users receive when they get a private message. I would like to hide the text of the PM, instead force the user to click a link to view it. That way, people will not reply to the email (which happens a lot), but will be forced to view the PM on the site.

I found "Don't allow post text in notifications?" under Features and Options > Basic Features. But, that seems to only hide the text a user receives when they are watching a thread.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Mel

Offline Illori

• Project Manager
  • SMF Master
Re: Private Message Email Notification
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
which version of smf are you running?

Offline melanieh75

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:43 AM »

kat

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Admin>Features and Options>Basic Features>Don't allow post text in notifications?

Offline Illori

• Project Manager
  • SMF Master
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »
I found "Don't allow post text in notifications?" under Features and Options > Basic Features. But, that seems to only hide the text a user receives when they are watching a thread.

Admin>Features and Options>Basic Features>Don't allow post text in notifications?

i wonder if that was tried already ;)

kat

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »
OOPS!

Brain-Fart!

Offline melanieh75

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
K@ I love your current profile pic. Looks like my crabby abby cat.

Any ideas? No mod for this that anyone is aware of? Seems like something that has surely come up before.

Mel

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »
Edit Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php

Code: (find) [Select]
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'The message they sent you was:' . "\n\n" . 'MESSAGE';
Code: (replace) [Select]
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'Instead, please visit the forum at ' . $GLOBALS['scripturl'] . '?action=pm to read your message.';
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

Offline melanieh75

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Perfect! Thank you

Offline The QE2 Story Forum

• Charter Member
  • Semi-Newbie
    • The QE2 Story
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »
This topic worked a treat for me too, thanks!

One more thing though - when they click the link, I'd prefer it just took them to the 'read message' screen, rather than what it actually does - which is as if they'd already hit 'reply' (with the message already quoted and in place).

Can this be done?

Cheers,

- Rob

Offline OCJ

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:14 AM »
Yes, something should be done about this....

I'm sick of  getting personal messages because they hit 'reply' in their own email software to 'noreply@mywebsite'.

And the link should be to read - not to quoted bbcoded reply whick is difficult to read anyway.

Offline jonbius

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »
Edit Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php

Code: (find) [Select]
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'The message they sent you was:' . "\n\n" . 'MESSAGE';
Code: (replace) [Select]
$txt[562] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'Instead, please visit the forum at ' . $GLOBALS['scripturl'] . '?action=pm to read your message.';

Does this work for 2.x? I get a ton of messages with people replying to a PM notification.

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
No, it doesn't, needs rewriting for 2.x and I don't have time right now to do so, sorry.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

Offline Chalky

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Hero
  • If in doubt, give me beer...
    • ChalkCat
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »

Offline jonbius

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »
Thanks y'all!

Offline Chalky