News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Is this possible

Started by ihatetn931, April 15, 2011, 03:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihatetn931

I was curious if it's possible to add bbcode to users displayname.

Like my name is ihatetn931

I set my display name to like pothead or somthing but add bbcode.

Example:
[b ]pothead[/ b]

Everyone would see my name in bold on post.

So users could make there name bold. I don't want colors or anything. I just want bold and itillac

I'm using smf RC5

I would also like to know how i could use tab in post. Like for example when i press the Tab key it inserts a tab

Arantor

Apart from the fact that bold and italics are already used in displaying names in the who's online area, it would be an incredibly bad idea to use bbcode in displaynames.

The bbcode processor in SMF is the single largest part of SMF; it weighs in at 1500 lines (nearly half of one of the biggest files, Subs.php) and on the bigger forums, it's the main bottleneck. Calling it many more times would not help with that.

Tabs in post... well, tab is a standard key for moving between form elements and is vital for keyboard users (like me) as well as users using tablets and mobile devices since the next-field button there uses the tab function.

In theory it's possible to replace but I've not seen it done reliably.

ihatetn931

Quote from: Arantor on April 15, 2011, 03:29:18 AM
Apart from the fact that bold and italics are already used in displaying names in the who's online area, it would be an incredibly bad idea to use bbcode in displaynames.

The bbcode processor in SMF is the single largest part of SMF; it weighs in at 1500 lines (nearly half of one of the biggest files, Subs.php) and on the bigger forums, it's the main bottleneck. Calling it many more times would not help with that.

Tabs in post... well, tab is a standard key for moving between form elements and is vital for keyboard users (like me) as well as users using tablets and mobile devices since the next-field button there uses the tab function.

In theory it's possible to replace but I've not seen it done reliably.

Ok, the bbcode in names i can live without. Do you know of any plugins or mods that add tab in post. Maybe possibly a way where people can toggle it.

Arantor

Even though it would really piss a number of users off and isn't entirely reliable across different browsers either?

No, there isn't a mod for it for SMF at this time, I don't remember it being asked for in the last couple of years either.

ihatetn931

Quote from: Arantor on April 15, 2011, 03:43:57 AM
Even though it would really piss a number of users off and isn't entirely reliable across different browsers either?

No, there isn't a mod for it for SMF at this time, I don't remember it being asked for in the last couple of years either.

Thank you for the reply. I guess i'll just use space bar for when i do codes in post.

Arantor

Or use a proper text editor and copy/paste.

Advertisement: