News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Error Upgrading from YaBB SE

Started by mpetrie, July 26, 2005, 02:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpetrie

Running upgrade.php from SMF 1.0.5 to upgrade a YaBB SE 1.5.5 I get the following successes then an error:

---
Backing up old table data... Successful.

Updating Settings.php with changes... Successful.

Creating new tables and inserting default data... Successful.

Converting activity logs... Successful.

Converting Boards and Categories... Unsuccessful!
This query:
SELECT MAX(m.ID_MSG) AS ID_LAST_MSG, t.ID_BOARD
FROM forums_messages AS m, forums_topics AS t
WHERE m.ID_MSG = t.ID_LAST_MSG
GROUP BY t.ID_BOARD;
Caused the error:

Got error 1 from storage engine

---
Any ideas?

Regards
Mike

[Unknown]

Error code   1:  Operation not permitted

Contact your host, and try the upgrade again.

-[Unknown]

mpetrie

Thanks. I was trying the upgrade out on my own PC before commiting to doing it on the live site! It got through several steps before faslling over:

Converting Boards and Categories...
   Converting "boards" (part 1)... done.
   Converting "boards" (part 2)... done.
   Converting "boards" (part 3)... done.
   Converting access permissions... done.
   Converting board statistics... Unsuccessful!

Regards
Mike

[Unknown]

Doesn't it give any sort of error message at all?  Or still the same one, you mean?

-[Unknown]

mpetrie

Same error; the extra details are the last messages if the extra debug option is switched on.

The messages in total look like:

Upgrading...

Putting your forum into maintenance mode... Successful.

Updating Settings.php with changes... Successful.

Creating new tables and inserting default data...
   Creating "themes"... done.
   Creating "permissions"... done.
   Creating "board_permissions"... done.
   Creating "moderators"... done.
   Creating "attachments"... done.
   Creating "log_notify"... done.
   Creating "log_polls"... done.
   Creating "poll_choices"... done.
   Creating "log_actions"... done.
   Creating "log_search"... done.
   Creating "smileys"... done.
   Creating "sessions"... done.
Successful.

Converting activity logs...
   Converting "log_online" and "log_floodcontrol"... done.
   Converting "log_karma"... done.
   Retiring "log_clicks"... done.
   Converting "log_activity"... done.
   Converting "log_notify"... done.
   Converting "log_errors"... done.
   Converting "log_boards"... done.
Successful.

Converting Boards and Categories...
   Converting "boards" (part 1)... done.
   Converting "boards" (part 2)... done.
   Converting "boards" (part 3)... done.
   Converting access permissions... done.
   Converting board statistics... Unsuccessful!
This query:
GROUP BY t.ID_BOARD;
Caused the error:

Got error 1 from storage engine

[Try again]

Mike

[Unknown]

I'm not sure what would cause error 1.  This happens both in local testing and live?

Does your host have anything to say about it?

What if you try this query in phpMyAdmin?

GROUP BY t.ID_BOARD;

What is phpMyAdmin?

I can show you how to skip that query, worst case, but SMF still won't work properly if you're getting these errors.

-[Unknown]

mpetrie

I'm only trying this locally at the moment. I wanted to be confident that it would convert OK - like YaBB did from perl to SQL; and to see what changes I'd need to make to keep a similar appearance as we now have.

I tried pasting the query into MySQL phpMyAdmin but got the same. Would I expect an error here though because I'm guessing that m.ID_MSG, t.ID_BOARD, etc., are variables passed into the query, and running it on its own won't have the varaibles in place?

I'm starting to think about putting up a second copy of YaBB on-line and trying to convert that to see if it does the same. I looked through all the required settings and they seem to be correct.

Mike

[Unknown]

Quote from: mpetrie on July 29, 2005, 01:28:18 PM
I tried pasting the query into MySQL phpMyAdmin but got the same. Would I expect an error here though because I'm guessing that m.ID_MSG, t.ID_BOARD, etc., are variables passed into the query, and running it on its own won't have the varaibles in place?

No, actually, the query should definitely have ran.  I'm afraid I don't know enough about the error (1 = operation not permitted, it's not access denied - 13 - so I don't know what it means to be honest.)  The idea of the query is to find out what the most recently posted message was in each board, to update the statistics.  It's not absolutely crucial to the upgrade, but your forum won't work at all if that query or others like it fail.

QuoteI'm starting to think about putting up a second copy of YaBB on-line and trying to convert that to see if it does the same. I looked through all the required settings and they seem to be correct.

I'm sorry your upgrade isn't going smoothly :(.  You might try REPAIRing all of your tables with phpMyAdmin.  What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

mpetrie

Having another look, and cutting the query down to just get the last message number, without the GROUP BY it worked; but add anything else back in and it stops again. Doing this I noticed that for some reason I'd got a Collation attribute that I don't remember seeing before. for text and varchar this was set to latin1_swedish.ci! Why Swedish, I don't know? I tried changing all occurances to utf8_general.ci - the  MySQL charset says it's: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)  - still didn't work. phpMyAdmin says my language is set to English (en-utf-8). Could this all be a source of the problem? Looking at the on-line phpMyAdmin it's English (en-iso-8859-1).

I backed up the on-line site and tried an upgrade, and it worked fine there, so this is something to do with my local installation. I installed MySQL, php, and Apache using EasyPHP - the version I have is 1.8.0.1.

If I ever resolve this I'll post a note about the cause here. Thanks for the help.

Mike

[Unknown]

Quote from: mpetrie on July 31, 2005, 08:03:15 AM
latin1_swedish.ci! Why Swedish, I don't know? I tried changing all occurances to utf8_general.ci - the  MySQL charset says it's: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)  - still didn't work. phpMyAdmin says my language is set to English (en-utf-8). Could this all be a source of the problem? Looking at the on-line phpMyAdmin it's English (en-iso-8859-1).

Latin1 is ISO-8859-1, which is used for English, Swedish, and other languages.  The developers of MySQL, MySQL AB, are in Sweden.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: