I'm not getting the FTP install right

Started by sfcg, July 26, 2005, 02:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfcg

Hello;

My name is Chris. I just set up a fedora machine, with PHP verison 4.3.9, Mysql Version 3.23.58 and I get to the FTP install.php page. When I enter in my FTP info it takes me to the Basic Settings page once I enter in the info. After that I enter in the Forum Name, URL, GZIP output, etc. When I click the proceed button it takes me back to the FTP setup page.

I have chmod 777'ed all the following files:

* attachments (directory)
    * Packages (directory)
    * Packages/installed.list
    * Packages/server.list
    * Smileys (directory)
    * Themes (directory)
    * Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php (and any other Install.language.php files.)
    * agreement.txt
    * Settings.php
    * Settings_bak.php
    * install.php

I've extracted the zip files to /var/www/html as I am planning to use the forum as the man site.

I've tried using a different path, and I'm using the 1.0.5 smf install.

I've verified that all the parameters in the installation guide for PHP and MySQL are correct. And I've double checked all the other suggestions and minimum requirements and they are all in order.

FYI I'm pretty green when it comes to Linux. I love it, but sometimes I don't understand some of the syntax.

BTW I think what you guys put together here is really great. I can't wait to start tinkering.

[Unknown]

Easiest way would be to open up a command prompt, and type:

chmod -R 777 /var/www/html

This means, "change the modification permissions of /var/www/html, and all the files and directories inside it, to 777."  Why chmod 777 is NOT a security risk (and you seem to be on a testing server anyway.)

-[Unknown]

sfcg

" Easiest way would be to open up a command prompt, and type:

chmod -R 777 /var/www/html"

I did that, rebooted the machine, and tried again. It still brings me back to FTP information page.

Could there be something else I'm missing that isn't due to FTP?

sfcg

I've since put the beta 1.1.0 on my server, and it skips the FTP page at least. So then I get the Basic Setup Page. I enter in all my info, and click proceed. It does the same exact thing as before. It flashes for a second then resets the page. No error, no nothing. I can't locate any logs or anything. I've tested logging into mysql with the proper account. Can we use root as the user? or no?

Anyhow. I own this server. It's sitting in my living room. I've since re-built it twice to accomodate the LAMP environment. Everything seems to be in order. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chris

sfcg

Also something REALLY WEIRD happens if I extract the files to this path /var/www/html/forum

When I got through the install.php file once I click proceed, it takes me to http://mathforum.org/ [nofollow]

:-\

Ummmm. Yeah.

[Unknown]

Strange.  Very strange.  It's trying to go to http://forum/ and your browser is "fixing" it.

What if you edit Settings.php manually?

-[Unknown]

sfcg

I manually edited the Settings.php file with the same result. It keeps bringing me back to the Basic Settings Page.

At this point I'm at a loss. I checked if all the necessary ports were open, and they are. I Checked to make sure my FTP account has the proper permissions. I chmod -R 777'd my whole /var/lib/mysql directory. I've ensured there was a database there with the proper name. I've logged into my MySQL database. I moved my install.php file out of the directory after manually configuring Settings.php. When I typed in the url, it said " Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Either way I'm starting to lose heart.

I have a feeling it might be MySQL. I had MySQL, PHP and Apache all installed with the installation of Fedora Core, so I can't find the directories where they are installed to mess with them. How do I verify the MySQL Settings?

sfcg

I think this is definitely a mysql problem.

What do I do to make the mysql user the root user again? What setting have to be set for the forum to be able to access the database? Will sitcky IP's work. Oh CRAP! I don't think I've allowed that port through my firewall :( Duh. I'll have to do that when I get home :(

I'll try it and get back to you.

I just realized as well that I have tried this on the server itself, so that will most likely not be the problem. But I will give it a try anyways.

sfcg

Nope. Firewall wasn't the problem. I'm sad.  :'(

I put phpBB in a different directory and got the same message "Cannot connect to database".

Guess I 'll go read up on mysql.

[Unknown]

Try using 127.0.0.1 as the host.

What does a basic test script give you?

<?php

mysql_connect
('localhost''root''') or die(mysql_error());

?>

Does Settings.php still have these lines at the end?

if (file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/install.php'))
header('Location: http://' . (empty($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) ? $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] . (empty($_SERVER['SERVER_PORT']) || $_SERVER['SERVER_PORT'] == '80' ? '' : ':' . $_SERVER['SERVER_PORT']) : $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) . (strtr(dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '\\', '/') == '/' ? '' : strtr(dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '\\', '/')) . '/install.php');

If yes, it means install.php couldn't write to the file.  Remove that line, which will cause you problems... and try the installer again.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: