News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Not a functional issue, but definately a miss in my eyes

Started by Felix J, May 27, 2011, 11:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix J

After writing in wrong login details or leaving the field empty, having the session lenght to "Forever" and then pressing login. You will get to this page - http://imageshack.us/f/832/issuelogin.png/

Viewing that page there is "31536" as default in the minutes stay inlogged field. I just think that field should be empty by default since "Forever" can't be meassured in minutes.

Kays

It's there by design. You'll notice that the field is disabled. Unchecking the "login forever" field it will enable it. That value is in there by default so that there is a value and it's not blank. Some users don't wish to stay logged in forever.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Felix J

Quote from: Kays on May 27, 2011, 11:54:05 AM
It's there by design. You'll notice that the field is disabled. Unchecking the "login forever" field it will enable it. That value is in there by default so that there is a value and it's not blank. Some users don't wish to stay logged in forever.

Yes I know. However I still don't get it why to have that value in there... It's not logical... It's logical to have 60 minutes for hour etc as it already is... but for "Forever"... I would say have it blank just simply because "Forever" can't be measured in a time period, which I hope we all agree on.. and if the user wants to stay inlogged for a certain time then they can choose so.

SlammedDime

The default value that you can't fully see is actually 3153600 which equates to almost 6 years.

The relevant code is     // Set up the cookie length.  (if it's invalid, just fall through and use the default.)
    if (isset($_POST['cookieneverexp']) || (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && $_POST['cookielength'] == -1))
        $modSettings['cookieTime'] = 3153600;
    elseif (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && ($_POST['cookielength'] >= 1 || $_POST['cookielength'] <= 525600))
        $modSettings['cookieTime'] = (int) $_POST['cookielength'];

I do agree it's not the most optimal, and some javascript trickery should probably be used to hide that part if 'stay logged in' was checked... but it's not detrimental to functionality and it's not likely to confuse many people.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Felix J

Maybe it's just me.... but I get so extremely irritated when I experience something that it's not logical. No matter what it might be. I am maybe crazy... but this is me.

Illori

emanuele

Well, maybe it would be nice to hide the text box with a js instead of locking it.
But then the order of the elements should be inverted (first the check and then the box).

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: